Can I delete content form Default.gdb?

Jump to solution
02-11-2015 03:25 AM
ayllaBAK
New Contributor II

My content in Default.gdb is 30 GB large so it's using to much space on my C drive. Can I delete content, without harming the normal operation of ArcGIS software??

Regards,

aylla@aylla

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Yes you can delete the content of the default file geodatabase, ArcGIS will keep functioning correctly. You can even delete the entire file geodatabase and when you start ArcGIS again a new one will be created.

Now, before you delete the content or fgdb, it may be wise to ask yourself why there is 30 GB of data inside your file geodatabase. When you start geoprocessing or generating results, it is good to create a file geodatabase in a project folder and store the results there with understandable names. You may have MXD's referencing the data in the default file geodatabase. So be careful with what you delete.

Are you using a lot of raster map calculations? Did you look at the content of the file geodatabase?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
XanderBakker

Yes you can delete the content of the default file geodatabase, ArcGIS will keep functioning correctly. You can even delete the entire file geodatabase and when you start ArcGIS again a new one will be created.

Now, before you delete the content or fgdb, it may be wise to ask yourself why there is 30 GB of data inside your file geodatabase. When you start geoprocessing or generating results, it is good to create a file geodatabase in a project folder and store the results there with understandable names. You may have MXD's referencing the data in the default file geodatabase. So be careful with what you delete.

Are you using a lot of raster map calculations? Did you look at the content of the file geodatabase?

AndySmith
Esri Contributor

Yes, you can treat this like any other geodatabase, it is just one created by the system and used as a default output if you have not specified anywhere else: ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

ayllaBAK
New Contributor II

Thanx guys,

I see now when I load data into ArcMap...It was very quick and helpful replay.

Regards

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi aylla BAK

If it answered your question, could you mark it as such?

Thanks, Xander

0 Kudos
AndrewAckerman
New Contributor II

I have a project file in the default geodatabase that is very slow to load and will not show in layout view. My other mxds don't behave like this. I have not done any geoprocessing on it. Any tips?

0 Kudos
AndrewAckerman
New Contributor II

I figured out what was bogging things down. The basemap service. 

0 Kudos
ayllaBAK
New Contributor II

Sorry for not replying to you. I was on maternity leave and did not check my messages .

0 Kudos