Select to view content in your preferred language

Calculating angles using ArcGIS Desktop 10.2

Jump to solution
01-21-2016 11:17 AM
BrianVann
New Contributor II

I need to find angles of streets where they intersect with roadways covering the entire state. Does anyone have a method and/or tools in mind?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
JeremyMullins4
New Contributor III

Darren,

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a way of getting the street names from a centerline feature class on the left and right sides of these points appended to the points themselves without using any ArcGIS Advanced tools (I only have access to Standard). Here is my idea below:

Basically look along the curve in the negative direction (-360 degrees, to the left), find where the next point is and append that street name to the original point as a "Street 1" field. Do the same for the positive direction and name that field "Street 2". Concatenate the two in a new field called intersection and I would now have the intersection associated with that point. I wanted to make sure I could keep this method associated with the buffer circle - I might need to change the buffer size depending on the need of any particular client.

However, I am not sure where to even begin on this. Do you or anyone else have any suggestions where to start?

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

You could run Dissolve—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop then Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop either can be used at all license levels. When you do your spatial join you'll need to work with Mapping input fields to output fields—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop to join your street names

0 Kudos
SumvegMalik
New Contributor

Hi Wes

I was trying to use the toolbox but I'm not able to use it after some operations. Snapshot is attached below:

it is not going forward after find less than angle. also could you explain what is Angle lower and Angle upper in the parameters

Thanks in advance

Sumveg

0 Kudos