Calculate

12-24-2012 05:18 AM
ChrisSlinko
New Contributor II
I have a soils polygon layer and  line layer.  I want to find out how many meters of the polyline falls into each polygon of the different soil types along that line.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have a soils polygon layer and  line layer.  I want to find out how many meters of the polyline falls into each polygon of the different soil types along that line.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like Intersect would work to cut the line up and join it to the soils attributes in a new feature class.  You could then run a summarize attributes summary to get the total line lengths by each soil type (assuming the lines cut into multiple polygons of the same soil type).  Is that what you are trying to do?
0 Kudos
ChrisSlinko
New Contributor II
Yes, that sounds perfect.  How do I run summarize attributes summary?
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Yes, that sounds perfect.  How do I run summarize attributes summary?

Use the Dissolve tool under the Generalize group of the Data Management group to create multipart lines that will contain the lengths of the combined lines.  The Summary Statistics tool under the Analysis geoprocessing tools can also be used to get a table output, but since you are wanting two case fields (Type and Line ID), it is hard to join back the results to the original lines, whereas the Dissolve tool will give a spatial output that can be joined back to the original lines using a Spatial Join.
0 Kudos