Are "to" and "from" addresses on each side in a dual address layer always supposed to go in the same direction?

Jump to solution
10-01-2019 08:10 AM
Jackson_CountyMissouri
New Contributor III

I'm in the process of prepping a streets layer for use in geocoding. I'm using a dual address mode for that layer.

I have this one particular town where the street addresses are weird. Usually streets will go like the following, with the "left" addresses on the top and the "right" addresses on the bottom (that is, the direction is left to right):

2  4  6  8

1  3  5  7

However, in this particular town the main street is chopped up into segments, and in each segment the addresses wrap around the other side of the street and then go in the other direction. Like this:

8 7 6 5

1 2 3 4

What I was wondering is, on each side, does the "from" address always have to be a lower number than the "to" address? Or, given the example above, on the left/top side can I made the "from" address 8 and the "to" address 5?

I don't know exactly how a dual address range geolocator does its matching algorithm, so I don't know if that scheme will confuse it or not.

Alternatively, I was thinking of putting each side into its own feature and having two duplicate features located on top of each other, and then have zeros on one side of each feature. That is, the scheme above would be rearranged like this:

Left addresses feature:

8 7 6 5

0 0 0 0

and

Right addresses feature:

0 0 0 0

1 2 3 4

That way for the left addresses feature, I could make the "from" address 5 and the "to" address 8, and assume that the direction goes right to left instead of left to right (so I would actually still put the addresses in the "right" side fields).

For the right addresses feature I could make the "from" address 1 and the "to" address 4, and it would still go left to right as normal.

However, for *this* scheme I'm still unsure if the geolocator will "know" that the street directions are going opposite each other. Since I'm copying and pasting the features to create the overlapping features, the geometry of the feature is still left-to-right even though I'm arranging the addresses right to left. If my data says the feature goes right to left, but the geometry says the feature goes left to right, will that also confuse the geolocator? Or does it not pay attention to the geometry of the line (as in, when I draw it while editing).

Hope that made sense.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi.  This is the best question ever, a rare chance to use the word 'boustrophedonic'!

That's what your case is, street numbering going up one direction and down the other.  It is quite OK to have streets that do this, the dual range interpolation will handle it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi.  This is the best question ever, a rare chance to use the word 'boustrophedonic'!

That's what your case is, street numbering going up one direction and down the other.  It is quite OK to have streets that do this, the dual range interpolation will handle it.

0 Kudos
Jackson_CountyMissouri
New Contributor III

I just had to Google that word:

World Wide Words: Boustrophedonic 

So you're telling me it's OK to have the "from" number a bigger number than the "to" number? If I understand you correctly.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes its OK.

Jackson_CountyMissouri
New Contributor III

OK I hope you're right!

0 Kudos