arcpy install fears

04-13-2010 12:40 PM
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
I fear that since you went down this path of controlling the python install, if I set up additional modules, packages, etc..., that when the time comes, I uninstall 10, and this will in turn kill everything else.  Has anyone tested this scenario, this potentially painful scenario?

On test machines, who cares but production machines, this is a big worry.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Thanks, Ted. I'm having trouble locating the .pth file. Do you know where it usually lives or whether it is simply a matter of creating one? Thanks again.

I would create a file, a text file, save it as a .pth file with the following paths (On Win7) and place it in the Lib\site-packages folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\ArcToolbox\Scripts

Make sure you install python 2.6.5, and numpy 1.0.3.

Make sure you have arcpy in the ArcGIS path like:  C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy.  If arcpy is here, then the .pth file should work.  if arcpy is not located here, then I would try the add features for the install to try and trigger the arcpy ArcGIS scripts to load.
0 Kudos
TimWallace2
New Contributor II
I would create a file, a text file, save it as a .pth file with the following paths (On Win7) and place it in the Lib\site-packages folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\bin
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\ArcToolbox\Scripts

Make sure you install python 2.6.5, and numpy 1.0.3.

Make sure you have arcpy in the ArcGIS path like:  C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0\arcpy.  If arcpy is here, then the .pth file should work.  if arcpy is not located here, then I would try the add features for the install to try and trigger the arcpy ArcGIS scripts to load.

Thanks for this, Ted. I went through all of these steps (and tried a few other things suggested in various similar forums), but wasn't able to get it running properly until I used the original install disk to run a "modify install".

The good news is that I am finally up and running! Thanks again for your help.
0 Kudos
TedCronin
MVP Honored Contributor
Sorry it wasn't easier, the important thing, I suppose is you are able to start scripting.

Was there an arcpy folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.0?  I am thinking this gets installed regardless, I can't say ever installing ArcGIS w/o python though, so you are the most experienced person I have met on these forums for this issue.
0 Kudos