ArcMap Background Processing in Python

01-15-2019 06:07 AM
UMUTÜÇOK
New Contributor III

Hi,

Whenever i look at disable / enable background processing in ArcMap due to unlimited bugs and errors of ArcMap, ESRI referred their documents which you need to click the button in geoprocessing options.

However, I authored a program and i need to copy features as using "Feature Class to Feature Class tool" from an SDE workspace into filegdb. When i want to do that in Python console in ArcMap or ArcToolbox it gives me error if i enable Background processing. If i disable, no error occurs.

The main problem is there is no access in arcpy to disable background process or i could not find.

But the most ridiculous thing in this process, Feature class to feature class is very basic tool. Even in that tool, geoprocess crashes.

I prepared a video for this, you can watch.

arcmap gp background hatasi - Streamable 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
UMUTÜÇOK
New Contributor III

Hi Xander,

Thanks for your reply. I think Joshua pointed about location of python exe. If you install background processing 64 bit, you need to use ArcGIS10.6x64\python.exe. Because that python version is based on 64 bit.

So we need to find a way to change background processing settings.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

As far as I see the situation:

• either you switch the background processing off manually
  • or you un-install the 64 bit processing
  • or you use the 32 bit python standalone script to run the geoprocess
  • or if you want 64 bit processing you start using ArcGIS Pro

I really don't see any other option.

UMUTÜÇOK
New Contributor III

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your reply. I tried for another folders in drives nothing changed. 

I don't think that is about permissions. Because same python.exe is running and it uses user permission and those folder are everyone shared.

0 Kudos