ArcMap - Adding XY data problem

10-01-2016 03:19 PM
Long_YeeChiu
New Contributor

Hello.

I have created a csv file containing latitude and longitude.

The length of field name is below 10.

I link latitude to Y field, and longitude to X field.

I have tried using ArcMap and ArcCatolog to import the data but the result is still the same: the points are located vertically.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

well your table name is terrible so I am suprised it loaded at all. (no spaces, no punctuation other than underscores).

So your latitudes go from about the equator to about 60 degrees and your longitudes are within a 3-4 degree range. Looks like you got it right, unless your data conversion to longitude and latitude are off, especially since this is supposed to be california I take it?

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

In addition to what Dan mentioned, you need to specify the Coordinate System even f it is lat/long.

Long_YeeChiu
New Contributor

I am able to see latitude and longitude fields clearly.

And I have tried specifying the coordinate system before importing the csv.

But the result is still the same.

On the other hand, this csv file is successfully imported into QGIS. That's why I wonder if I can't make it in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

try changing the 'long' field name on a lark. .... or better still, I have never used that tool with assigning a field to 'Z field' so just select 'State' and I assume given your values, that not all of the points are in California, so perhaps that field is a misnomer and contains data towards the equator in other countries

0 Kudos