ArcMap 10.3 Orphaned Processes

02-06-2015 09:46 AM
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Anybody having any issues with ArcMap leaving an orphaned process running?  Every time I run ArcMap 10.3 and exit the application it leaves behind an orphaned process.  It doesn't appear to be using any CPU, but depending on the MXD, it retains the memory it was using.  This does not happen with ArcCatalog.

I am using ArcMap 10.3 on a Windows 7 Pro with service pack 1 and also on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

The orphaned process also appears to lock any datasets that are being used too.  I tried reopening an MXD and adding a field to a feature class and got an error message stating that the resource was in use by another process.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tom,

Open a fresh ArcMap (with no ArcMap.exe in background). Work on it. Try closing from File > Exit.

Does the ArcMap.exe still exist in the background processes?

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks Jay!  I did give that a try.  It did not leave an orphaned process, but ArcMap did crash when exiting.  While in my project, I did some editing, switching between the layout view and data view, open some layer tables and exported a PDF.  I tried again doing even less and it still crashes, but does not leave an orphaned process.

I have seldom exited using File>Exit to exit ArcMap.  I almost always use the X.

Best Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tom,

Could you try the following steps and let me know if the ArcMap still crashes on File > Exit.

Go to Start > Run, type in the command below and click ok:

%AppData%\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcToolbox

How big is the ArcToolbox.dat file? If it is over several MB in size, rename it to ArcToolboxOld.dat and try again.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Jay,

It is only 231KB.  Very small.

Best Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
TomSellsted
MVP Regular Contributor

Greetings Posters,

I have just installed 10.3.1 and the problem still exists.  If I exit by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner, ArcMap leaves an orphaned process.  If I File>Exit ArcMap crashes.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos