ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 How do I use for back-end processing

07-20-2015 10:10 PM
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

My department has just installed ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 on our Linux server. Intention is to use for web-publishing, but we want to be able to do back-end processing jobs for some of our larger analysis activities.

I would like to know the simple workflow to be able to process either from Desktop to Linux Server or directly on the Server. We would more than likely be wanting to utilise python / arcpy scripting and need to know how to access the arcpy library on the server when logged into it or from Desktop.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Awhile back, we had to set-up some jobs to run overnight - we ended-up scheduling tasks to run at prescribed times, similar to how they do it in this blog:

Scheduling a Python script or model to run at a prescribed time | ArcGIS Blog

You don't need ArcGIS Server to do this - you can schedule jobs using a desktop license to run Python scripts (outside of the ArcGIS app) that invoke the geoprocessor.

Also, since you have a server license, you could publish a geoprocess service:

* How to publish a service—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

* http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/pdf/publishing-geoprocessing-services-tutorial.pdf

Then, have your application make calls to the service at given intervals.

0 Kudos
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Chris,

Sorry for delay. Will be following up on your suggestions. Links look promising.

Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos