Alter Field tool not licensed (Bug?)

06-24-2014 03:59 AM
PedroPeña
New Contributor II
Hi All,
We have ArcGIS 10.2.1 for Desktop at Basic and Standard level installed in our machines and we are trying to use the Alter field tool (Data management tools -> Fields). This tool is new at 10.2 version and the help document says that it's available to all levels of licensing (Basic, Standard and Advanced). But in all of our machines the tool is blocked with the tool not licensed warning, using both license types (Basic and Standard). Same problem if we try the tool with ArcPy in python scripting, of course.
Strange and annoying thing... maybe a bug?.
Is there anyone with the same problem?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Pedro,

This is a bug, NIM101746.  Though the support page says this is fixed in 10.3, this has actually been fixed in 10.2.2.  You will be able to use the Alter Field tool at all license levels.
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Jake,

I've just upgraded to 10.2.1 and have a Basic license. I spotted that this new tool would not work and found this thread. I followed the link to the bug report page but it does not explicity state what license level this tool is available at! Do you or anyone in ESRI know at what license level this tool is available at?

Seems a bit unfair to have a gold plated carrot waved in front of me to only find out that it's now available!

Duncan

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from the help files all levels apparently...is the tool locked on your install since I have advanced and hide/show locked tools doesn't apply

0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Dan,

If you follow the link Pedro links gives it says the:

The Alter Field online help documentation page indicates that the Alter Field tool is available at all license levels, however, the tool is unavailable at lower license levels.

I've got the little yellow padlock on the tool in ArcToolbox. This is on my personal version at home.

At work this tool is available as its an advance license. I'm just trying to establish what license is it actually available at. Help says all levels but bug report is saying different!

Duncan

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

The 'Alter Field' tool is visible\available for use, at only the Advanced license level at 10.2 and 10.2.1, due to the Bug as mentioned by Jake earlier in this thread.

At 10.2.2, this has been fixed and the tool is available at all licensing levels (Basic, Standard and Advanced).

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Asrujit,

Thank you clearing this up. I have posted an idea for esri here.

Duncan

0 Kudos
AlexanderWalkowski
New Contributor II

Has the issue concerning the Alter Field Tool really been fixed in 10.2.2 server? I have a standard server and get an error during the publication of a GP Service "ArcGIS Server does not have the product or extension license Alter Field needed for tool. If I switch to an advanced license I am able to publish the GP service.

0 Kudos
PedroPeña
New Contributor II
Thank you very much, Jake. I can´t see the bug description through your link, but this one works:
http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMTAxNzQ2
0 Kudos