All tools in ArcToolBox crash

01-24-2014 12:31 PM
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I installed ArcGIS 10.2.1 on my Windows 8.1 Pro machine and am having problems.

I can open/display maps, and do many of my 'normal mapping' stuff.

However, every single tool that I have tried in ArcToolBox 'crashes' ArcMap.  I put crash in quotes because it ArcMap just disappears.

I had noticed that some people complained that newer versions of Python installed on the machine interfere so I uninstalled by Python 3.2.  I think that I am now using the correct Python (see code below).

What else could be causing my problems ?  What seems odd is that when I open a command window and type 'python -V' it comes back as not a recognized command

I typed the following into my ArcMap python window.  I believe this means that it is running correctly. 

>>> import sys
>>> for pypath in sys.path:
...     print pypath
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\python27.zip
c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.2\arcpy
C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\Lib
C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\DLLs
C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\Lib\lib-tk
C:\WINDOWS\System32
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\bin
C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2
C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\lib\site-packages
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\arcpy
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.2\ArcToolbox\Scripts
>>> print 'Running against: %s' %sys.version
Running against: 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:43:36) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
>>> 

Thanks in advance !
9 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
Hi All,

I actually had tried all those suggestions previously and they have not worked.  Since then I have tried
1)  Repairing my ArcGIS installation (did not work)
2)  Uninstalling ArcGIS and then reinstalling ArcGIS (still did not work)

Also, *none* of the suggestions on that link mirror my issues.

As I said, ArcToolBox does appear, I can select a tool (e.g. buffer), I can add all the parameters, however, as soon as I hit 'OK' my ArcMap session disappears.

Any other suggestions ?
0 Kudos
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
That is the weirdest thing, the entire ArcMap Session just goes away.  Nothing in the results window at all.  When I bring ArcMap back up, it does not even show that the buffer started.

I still think it is somehow my path because I cannot start a Command Prompt and type in 'python.exe' but I can go into the Python27\ArcGSI10.2 directory and start it up.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what Python environments need to set for the path (in Windows 8 Pro)
0 Kudos
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
Hi All,

Something of an update.  Interesting, the ArcToolBox tools (e.g. buffer) work fine from ArcCatalog.  The crashing only occurs accessing the tool (e.g. buffer) from ArcMap  !
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Has Background Geoprocessing been identified as something you can check?  Maybe it is disabled in ArcCatalog where the tool works and enabled in ArcMap (Default setting) where it fails?
0 Kudos
DonaldCatanzaro
New Contributor III
Hi All,

Well I talked to ESRI support and  turned out to be two different issues:

1)  Background Processing was enabled (by default).  To turn it off to go to Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options and unclick it.

2)  Windows 8.1 is not a supported OS (yet).  So I need to rollback to 8.0
LucStappaerts
New Contributor II

Here too ArcMap just disappears after starting no matter which geoprocessing tool.

I'm using Windows 8.1 and ArcMap 10.2.2.

I could solve the problem by unchecking the following option :

Geoprocessing --> Geoprocessing options --> Background processing --> Enable : uncheck this option

raimeeeck
New Contributor

Solved my problem!! After 8 hours of trying every darn thing there is to try short of uninstall/reinstall....

0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
Hi All,

Well I talked to ESRI support and  turned out to be two different issues:

1)  Background Processing was enabled (by default).  To turn it off to go to Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options and unclick it.

2)  Windows 8.1 is not a supported OS (yet).  So I need to rollback to 8.0

ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 is compatible with Windows 8.1
ArcGIS 10.2.x for Desktop system requirements
0 Kudos