Advanced Editing--Align to Shape issue

06-22-2020 04:03 PM
WayneMillen
New Contributor II

I have been using this tool to eliminate sliver gaps between polygons with a Standard ArcMap 10.7.1 license since I am unable to use the Eliminate tool available with the Advanced license.

This appeared to be working fine but all of a sudden it stopped allowing me to begin the trace.  As soon as I clicked on the reference feature it bounced back to the main tool dialog box.  It appears to be temporarily hanging up the tool or the data processing as it began working again a few hours later then stopped again and would not work.  I tested with other map documents and gdb datasets and nothing points to an obvious culprit. 

I am wondering if the "routine" is sensitive to how often you "close" the tool or save edits?  Has anyone found this tool to crash like this if you are trying to process a large number of gap alignments before doing a new alignment session or before doing edit saves?  

I have not found any documentation that covers this issue and have followed the tool directions closely

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Sounds like a bug, so ensure you are saving regularly. Also whilst in edit mode all sorts of things are being recorded by the application, for example the extent, that's how you can jump back to the last extent, or the one before that or before that etc... so if you are jumping around a lot as one would tend to do in editing then all this hidden information is being stored and I think ArcMap internally exceeds some limits or a link is broken and then the tool fails.  For example if you edit any metadata in ArcMap all the geoprocessing tools fail to work with layers, the only solution is to restart Arcmap, this bug has been in the software for years... I can replicate on any machine.

So bottom line save regularly!

0 Kudos