Add X, Y coordinates

Jump to solution
10-22-2013 07:13 AM
BerryFarrington
New Contributor
I have a point shapefile, county coordinates. I would like to add x, y data presented as decimal degrees. When I use the Add x, y coordinates tool, I get state plane coordinates. I've transformed the shapefile to UTM projection and again added the x,y coordinates, but I am still getting state plane rather than latitude and longitude. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Start a blank ArcGIS session.  Add your projected shapefile to the session.

open the attribute table for the shapefile and add a X and Y attributes.  Make them both type Double.

Right click on the X attribute and select calculate Geometry.

It should default to the coordinate system of your source.  Make sure the property is set to X coordinate of point.  From the bottom drop down menu select your units.

Calculate.

do the same for the Y coordinate

I have a point shapefile, county coordinates. I would like to add x, y data presented as decimal degrees. When I use the Add x, y coordinates tool, I get state plane coordinates. I've transformed the shapefile to UTM projection and again added the x,y coordinates, but I am still getting state plane rather than latitude and longitude. Any suggestions?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Jane,

Can you use the project tool, to reproject it into WGS84 (Coordinate System -> World -> WGS 1984)?

Tim
0 Kudos
BerryFarrington
New Contributor
Thanks! Both solutions worked.
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Start a blank ArcGIS session.  Add your projected shapefile to the session.

open the attribute table for the shapefile and add a X and Y attributes.  Make them both type Double.

Right click on the X attribute and select calculate Geometry.

It should default to the coordinate system of your source.  Make sure the property is set to X coordinate of point.  From the bottom drop down menu select your units.

Calculate.

do the same for the Y coordinate

0 Kudos