Add vertices to polylines tool?

08-03-2018 01:59 PM
RichThomas2
New Contributor II

Is there a tool that can add vertices to polylines, given an input of points, or polylines that intersect? I have a feature layer ("A") of thousands of polylines, and I previously ran the Generate Near Table Analysis tool from a different feature layer ("B") to these polylines ("A"). I need to add vertices in these polylines ("A") where the near analysis determined to be the closest points on "A". So I have either a points feature layer or lines feature layer to use as input, which are features created from the X,Y results of the near analysis. How can I add vertices in the polylines from "A"?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can create points (from, to points) and polylines connecting those points, but you can't add those points to an existing polyline using any of the tools in arctoolbox.

Perhaps if you can elaborate on your actual final need, other options can be put forward

0 Kudos
RichThomas2
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Dan. The actual final need is to create the input for building a network dataset for later use with Network Analyst routing, and it requires the input features to intersect at vertices.

When I use Generate Near Table, I get a resulting feature layer of polylines that intersect the near features along their edges, so then I need to add vertices in the near features where the features from the near table intersect them. The only thing I could previously do is use one of the Split tools to break the near features at the intersections, but that takes a lot of processing time, and results in more features in an already large feature layer. I was hoping adding vertices would be quicker and easier.

0 Kudos