Add Specific Fields from feature class to feature class ArcGIS Desktop tool

03-13-2021 02:09 PM
AlexP_
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have SDE, ArcGIS Pro 2.7.1 and ArcMap 10.7.1 along with python 2.7 and 3x and model builder.

I am a bit lost. I tried to look up here but it is all over the places by piece to piece. I am trying to create tools with specific two fields adding new information into from existing SDE feature class to SDE existing feature class. To avoid duplicate and to avoid delete the whole data (to keep what it is already added). I found an append tool to use field matching type: "use the field map to reconcile field differences" and use field map output fields to two fields. At the end, this would need to be automatic weekly. That is all I can find so far with one tool append. I feel like I am missing something. It would be helpful to provide step by step or point it out. I hope this makes sense. Please kindly assist. Thank you.

EDIT:

What tools should I use to avoid duplicate information after using append tool? 

Alex

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry your post makes no sense to me.

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

What tools should I use to avoid duplicate information after using append tool? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

duplicate shapes? attributes? both?

Delete Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
AlexP_
by

Thank you for the information. Either shapes or attributes. After reading the document, it is look like field only. Not sure if I am understanding. For example below, can it delete row by using two specific fields? 

AlexP__0-1615688692724.png

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Experiment with

Find Identical (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

limit your fields to what you call "identical" before you commit to any deletion.

And when you want to commit to "delete identical" do it on a copy first since the process isn't reversible.

... sort of retired...
AlexP_
by

Yes, thank you. I tested it and this is piece what I am looking for.

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

I just noticed that I actually have TWO feature classes to ONE feature class. Is this possible? Is this gonna be an issue when I append and delete identical?  such as to do this weekly. 

0 Kudos
AlexP_
by

@DanPatterson @MichaelVolz  When I tried to append tool from sde feature class to sde feature class (view), it failed and gave an error. Am I missing something?

AlexP__3-1615783414013.png

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Can you not do a weekly truncate (delete all existing features) and append of the entire SDE feature class and not worry about duplicate creation by appending to an existing SDE feature class?

0 Kudos