Accessing AGOL from ArcMap

08-31-2014 04:07 PM
JaniceMock
New Contributor

I cannot access AGOL from ArcMap and am unable to download maps, data or layers from AGOL through the "Add Data" tool (neither through the toolbar nor under "file"). I am able to log on to AGOL through ArcMap, but still unable to access data there for my.

I am a graduate GIS student and using a Student version of ArcGIS, which does not come with AGOL.  But I do have an ESRI Global account for AGOL, which should allow me to access online reference maps and layers.

Any help greatly appreciated.  I need this data for a school project!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue.  I cannot access the ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Online Basemap options in ArcMap.  I can chose the option to add data but then ArcMap sort of freezes.  ArcMap doesn't shut down, but I can't click on anything.  Almost as if the AGOL windows are opening off screen.  I too can login to AGOL. 

Same result if I go to File, Add data, AGOL...ArcMap freezes but doesn't close.

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Janice Mock‌, Justin Shedd

Before you can add data from AGOL, you have to sign-in to it from within ArcMap,  done from the drop down File menu. And that is a two step process... sign-in, and then launch the AGOL dialog window.

Steps are in this online Help: Signing in to ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS for Desktop applications  and once the sign-in completes, use the File --> "ArcGIS Online..." button and you should see an ArcGIS Online dialog as in the Help item: Using ArcGIS Online in ArcGIS for Desktop applications

Once the dialog opens, it will show "featured" content. Best for finding content if you run a search, but first will need to uncheck the "Only Search in [your AGOL organization]" check box.

Stuart

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

Janice Mock‌, Justin Shedd

A bit additional to my earlier note.  If one or both of you are actually not able to access the File --> Sign In, or the File --> ArcGIS Online... items in ArcMAP, or can not get a connection to take, it could be a WinINET Proxy setting issue with your internet connections.

See this Esri Support blog from Lucas Danzinger‌  -- Troubleshooting issues adding ArcGIS Online basemaps to ArcMap‌ and perhaps this GeoNet discussion https://community.esri.com/message/388164#388164‌,

Seems that many have resolved their AGOL access issues by clearing the default WinINET Proxy automatic configuration settings, done from within

Internet Explorer's Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings --> Automatic Configuration: and clearing the "Automatically detect settings" checkbox.

That adjustment can also be done directly in the Windows registry per user with a DWORD (32-bit) at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\AutoDetect

set 0=disabled, set 1=enabled

The DWORD will be processed (i.e., the AutoDetect value will be removed on next visit to the Key) and will assert a bitwise value in the 9th byte position of the binary value

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\DefaultConnectionsSettings

The 9th byte will show a 09 if the checkbox is set, or a 01 if cleared.  The usual caveats to be careful and back it up first if working directly in the Widows Registry.

So, try toggling the "Automatically detect settings" value, see if it clears things up.

--refs--

http://blog.raido.be/?p=426

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1674119/what-key-in-windows-registry-disables-ie-connection-param...

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Stuart for the suggestions.  I have two monitors, when I open ArcMap on Monitor 1, and try to add data from AGOL - the add data dialogue window never appears and ArcMap freezes.  When I open ArcMap on Monitor 2 and add data, the AGOL window appears in Monitor 1 - I can then add data and have no issues.

I think my issue is specific to my machine.  I can login to AGOL no problem, my issue arises depending on the monitor ArcMap was opened on.  I have a similar problem in that when using ArcCatalog - the Identify window doesn't appear.

0 Kudos