10.1 Geoprocessing background progress - cannot see bar at all

10-17-2012 04:16 PM
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Nothing is showing up at all where I'd expect to see progress indicated in ArcMap. The process runs and I get a little pop up notice when it is complete, as before. I cannot see anything where I was expecting to see a "scrolling progress" before. The help system makes it looks like I should see something (the screen shot shows a progress bar, not the marquee style from before). Background processing is enabled. Do I need to do something else to make this visible? The process is running (I looked in Task Manager) but there is no indication in the ArcMap UI.

Update: Correc this to be "sometimes" cannot see bar at all. Sometimes the scrolling marquee is there, sometimes not.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
If you have 5 minutes to do a couple tests, could you:

-enable Background (you should already have it enabled)
-shut down and re-open ArcMap/Catalog
-run a tool (do you get dialog?)
-run a 2nd, different tool (do you get dialog?)

-shut down and re-open
-go to Geoprocessing Options > make sure BG is enabled (it should already be), press OK on the dialog (make sure to press OK)
-if you're watching you should see marquee of "Background starting"  (correct?)
-run a tool (do you get dialog?)
-run a 2nd, different tool (do you get dialog?)
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
OK, Since posting I have been seeing a mix of appearing and not appearing, but I have had to use the software on the only machine on which we have 10.1 installed, so there has not been a lot of time for experiments.

1. It seems the first time I run the ArcMap and run a tool, the Marquee does not appear - nothing shows.
2. When I turned off background processing, closed ArcMap, opened ArcMap, turned on background processing - the Marquee showed.

I can experiment later - my gut tells me it has something to do with the first time the BG processing is running in a given ArcMap session - unless you mess with the option checkbox?

No percentage complete - I guess that is by design now?
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks, Harry.

I've had a few reports and they all seem different. Its hard to narrow down when/why the bar may not show up. I'm still working on it and if we can identify the cause, we'll fix it.

As for % - right, 10.1 we only show whats running. However, now you can click the bar to get you right into the Results window and the tool thats executing.
Quite honestly not all tools report status in the same way (overall % left, % left on a certain step, no %, etc). We have worked on that and are continuing to get tools to report status better as well as respond better to cancel.
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Khibma:

Consistently, the first GP tool run in the background for a given ArcMap session doesn't show in the Marquee (something blue flashes there for a second but it's too fast for me to read, then nothing).
New Mxd:
- ran tool: no marquee
- ran tool: marquee

save mxd, close ArcMap, open mxd
- ran tool: no marquee
- ran tool: marquee

At least it seems to me that the first time the background GP is started in ArcMap, the marquee doesn't work properly. New MxD, old MxD, doesn't matter.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
thanks Harry.

thats good info. I'll see if we can't do something in SP2 for this.
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Cool, Thanks.
For what it's worth, I tried not to blink and caught part of what was flashing in the marquee "ing Back" I think.
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
My guess: "Starting Background Processing" 🙂
But I havent seen a machine where it's taken so long that the whole message has time to scroll.
0 Kudos
AstridLichtenberger1
New Contributor III
Hi,
I have also installed the 64bit geoprocessing package.

Now I have troubles to run geoprocessing tools with SDE featureclasses.
I want to intersect a sde featureclass with a featureclass from a FGDB.
I allways get the message Error 000229: Cannot open Featureclass.

Ihave added the featureclass to arcmap, all features are visible, and i can get infos etc.
I can start editing for the featureclass.

Anybody same problems???

Thanks for help
Astrid

PS: IF I turn off background processing then all is running and I can make intersects
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
My guess is you're missing the 64bit client libraries required to connect to your enterprise database.

See the section: Desktop, Workgroup and Enterprise geodatabases
here: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//002100000040000000
0 Kudos