What could cause a User to be in conflict with their self?

10-24-2016 06:34 AM
HeathAnderson
Occasional Contributor II

We currently work in a versioned environment with ArcGIS 10.3.2.  We have been experiencing some problems when we posting and reconciling each version.  The User is in conflict with himself.  Doesn't anybody have any idea how or why this could be happening?  Below is an image taken from the conflict manager.  Clearly the feature has been change but because it was the same person editing the feature I can't see how he could be in conflict with himself.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

A Conflict is observed while performing the Reconcile operation.

A conflict is only observed when the same feature has been modified (moved, attribute update, deleted) in two different versions. The edits may have been done by the same person or different editors, that does not matter.

So in your case, you must check if the Target version has been modified by someone else or maybe it is updated through any process,etc. Otherwise, this should not be observed.

HeathAnderson

Asrujit,

Thank you for the information.  We have gone around the office and have ensured that everyone is working in their correct version.  So I don't think the user is pointing at a different version.  Is it possible that the same user has multiple ArcMap edit sessions open all pointing at the same version, makes changes to the same feature in ArcMap, saves, and exits the Program?  Could this situation cause a conflict to be flagged?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, that could be a scenario giving rise to conflicts, ONLY IF the editor has multiple edit sessions open at the same time and editing the same feature in separate sessions. However this will lead to conflicts when he tries to Save his edits, not during a separate Reconcile process.

Versioning 101 explains this possibility:

The reconcile process can occur either implicitly or explicitly.

Implicit—A reconcile operation will occur implicitly when there are multiple editors editing the same version (see Figure 3A). Each editor maintains his or her own branch in the state tree for the duration of an edit session. When an editor attempts to save the edits in his or her edit session, a reconcile operation occurs to push the edits in the editor's branch to the branch currently referenced by the version. With multiple editors in one version, each time edits are saved, the reconcile process is executed. There is no choice of when the reconcile operation happens; it always occurs when edits are saved.

Explicit—When performing a reconcile operation between different versions (as shown in Figure 8), an editor chooses when he or she wants the reconcile process to be executed. This differs from an implicit reconcile process, which occurs when edits are saved.

0 Kudos
HeathAnderson

I just got done speaking the the editor and learned that he only had one ArcMap session open with his version.  He leaves the edit session open for the whole day (8+ hours).  Is it possible that the database times out and creates a new lineage for that version?  The big question, and I have spoken to ESRI staff, is how is the extra lineage being created.  As far as we know, nobody is using anyone's version and they only have one arcmap edit session open with their version.  The post and reconcile is automated in the evening and occurs on all versions unless a conflict is detected.  The reconcile is in "FAVOR_EDIT_VERSION" and by "ATTRIBUTE".

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

If you have already contacted Esti Tech Support, they can maybe take a look at your States tree (use GDBT maybe) and give you a better picture.

However  following up on my other question\suggestion:

The Feature Classes on which the Conflicts are observed -- are they edited by this person only?

Cause, if they are edited by different editors, I guess it is quite possible that the same feature may have been edited by more than 1 editor, albeit in their own versions. The Conflict will arise in this scenario too.....just a possibility.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

The Feature Classes on which the Conflicts are observed -- are they edited by this person only?

Cause, if they are edited by different editors, I guess it is quite possible that the same feature may have been edited by more than 1 editor, albeit in their own versions. The Conflict will arise in this scenario too.....just a possibility.

0 Kudos
HeathAnderson

This feature was only edited by one person.  He is the only person that has the new data to update the feature with.  Once at 1:16 PM and again at 3:29 PM on the same day and the common ancestor took place about 8 months ago.  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCarr
New Contributor III

Heath, did you ever find out an answer on why this was happening for you?  And if so, what was your resolution?  The same thing is happening in my organization with one of our users and we are trying to figure out what's going on.  The situation sounds identical.

0 Kudos
CortWilson
Occasional Contributor

Did you figure your issue out? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy....

0 Kudos