User Permissions

Jump to solution
06-23-2015 10:07 AM
RobynBuzby
New Contributor

We set up an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server 2012; is it possible to set user permissions at a feature class/table level to only view certain attribute types? For example, a pipe layer has multiple owners; is it possible to set user permissions that company A only sees pipe features where owner field is set to A. Or is this only possible at an attribute level in ArcMap by setting definition queries?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

It is not possible to setup Permissions at the attribute level.

You can consider using Views for this.

A quick tour of views in the geodatabase--

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Create Database View --

ArcGIS Help 10.1

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

It is not possible to setup Permissions at the attribute level.

You can consider using Views for this.

A quick tour of views in the geodatabase--

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Create Database View --

ArcGIS Help 10.1

RobynBuzby
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply, Asrujit.

I looked at the links you provided and unfortunately it doesn't appear that views will work as there is data that participates in geodatabase behavior (ie: geometric network, subtypes, and domains).

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

I am not sure I follow you completely.

Views will fetch data from the Feature class or combination of data as desired. It has nothing to do with GMs, Subtypes, Domains, etc. It will also not matter if the FCs, based on which you are creating the View participates in GMs, uses Domains, Subtypes, etc.

Give it a quick try and check whether that serves your needs.

0 Kudos
RobynBuzby
New Contributor

Our geodatabase needs to be registered as versioned because it participates in geodatabase behavior therefore versioned views are needed in order to edit the data. When reading the "Versioned Views" section of "A quick tour of views in the geodatabase" it states that "The table or feature class upon which the versioned view is based must meet the ArcGIS requirements for editing geodatabase data with SQL".

A quick tour of views in the geodatabase

ArcGIS Help 10.1

What type of data can be edited using SQL

ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

1. Are you planning to edit the gdb data using SQL (i.e. database end)?

2. Will the users be viewing the filtered data from ArcGIS Desktop or Database End or another Application?

0 Kudos
RobynBuzby
New Contributor

1. No, there will not be edits done through the database in SQL; editing will be done in ArcDesktop

2. The users will be using viewing the ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS for Server, and Portal for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos