Understanding Branch Version Locks

10-17-2022 03:38 PM
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I would appreciate some help understanding "Version" lock types on a branch versioned geodatabases.  The table below shows the table returned when I go to my database connection (sde schema owner) and click "Administration" and then select "Locks" (user names and service names have been changed of course). The table is sorted from Oldest to Most Recent "Time Acquired"

I get that the edits I made this afternoon, and that I have not saved, would lock the version I made them in (Yellow below) .  What I DO NOT GET is:

1) Why are some other named versions (they appear as random project numbers under "Object Name" below) holding locks?  Is it because they have unsaved edits?  Some other reason?

2) Why so many old locks on "DEFAULT"?  What could be causing this?  Are they a problem/potential problem?  Could a web service have created them?

3) What does the "Expiration Time" mean on the lock?  Does that mean that these older locks have expired and are not locking the database at all? What happens when a lock expires?

Sorry for so many questions.  But it seems important and I can't find a lot online that explains it.

K

KimGarbade_0-1666046066619.png

2 Replies
DrewDowling
Occasional Contributor III

I too would love to know the answers to your questions. I just discovered we have locks going back 18 months to the database creation and trying to figure out what ones are safe to delete/disconnect.

0 Kudos
SurabhiGupta
New Contributor II

Hi, @KimGarbade @DrewDowling. Is the data in this geodatabase published as a branch-versioned feature service?

If yes, then those services create locks on the geodatabase, especially on the default version as the service is published from the default version. Based on the fact that you have a populated expiration date column, if the current date is long past the expiration date, it is safe to delete/disconnect those locks. However, you have to make sure that the edits done on those sessions were saved. If those services are used for view-only purposes, it is safe to delete them. When a lock is long past the expiration date, it can be assumed that those are now orphaned locks. 

0 Kudos