Attribute Index name changes when loaded data from File Geodatabase (FGDB) to Oracle

04-04-2023 04:59 AM
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Everyone

Geodatabase 10.7.1
ArcGIS Pro 2.9.4
Oracle 18.6.0.0
ST_GEOMETRY
Windows

FGDB Point Feature Class
CONTENT_HA NUMBER index name CONTENT_HA_IDX
VALID_FROM DATE index name VALID_FROM__IDX
VALID_TO DATE index name VALID_TO__IDX

ArcGIS Pro copy and paste into Oracle

Oracle Point Feature Class
CONTENT_HA NUMBER index name I43550CONTENT_HA
VALID_FROM DATE index name I43550VALID_FROM
VALID_TO DATE index name I43550VALID_TO

I have read the following : Attribute indexes in the geodatabase—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

Similar to table names, the following are true for index names in geodatabases:

• Must be unique in the database

I have not noticed this to date BUT why does an Attribute Index name changes when loaded data from File Geodatabase to Oracle? Is it just to ensure that it will be unique?

Thank you for the clarification?

3 Replies
VaibhavS
New Contributor III

Indexes can be created in several ways using various combinations of index attributes. They can be created for single or multiple fields; they can be unique; and for some geodatabases, they can be created in ascending or descending order. If you're choosing an indexing strategy for an ArcSDE geodatabase, please refer to your DBMS documentation for more detailed guidance.

Index Attributes

https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ADMQS/GUID-9F2FFAB1-C980-4B10-A80F-D78A1F6B5717.htm

VaibhavS
0 Kudos
JamesMorrison1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the feedback. Appreciated. 

However my question was why an attribute index name added to a feature class in a fGDB would get renamed when copied using ArcGIS Pro into oracle geodatabase?

I assume to keep the index name unique but was waiting feedback from other Oracle geodatabase users to confirm my thoughts. 

0 Kudos
SurabhiGupta
New Contributor II

@JamesMorrison1 This is an expected behavior with all enterprise geodatabases. The number added (eg, I1234, I999) are correspondent with the ObjectID of the feature class/table in the GDB_Items table. These can be manually renamed after copying the feature classes in the enterprise geodatabases.