I am trying to add users and update their privileges to a feature dataset using ArcCatalog, which has no users currently (and I am not sure why). I have tried to add privileges to both the versioned and unversioned versions of this dataset. I can enter the user (DOMAIN\USER) and select the privileges. When I click on Apply, the system chugs away, then the user record in the Privileges dialogue disappears. I had this problem before, but cannot recall how I resolved it.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Hi all, this worked fairly well. We could not rename the classes with the geometric network present in the feature dataset. Fortunately, our network is small and not complicated. Before starting we reconciled and posted our edits. We create a back up of our sde geodatabase. We compressed the database (hoping this might resolve the original issue but it did not). The feature and map services were stopped. We made a copy of the feature dataset as described earlier ('_1'). Before continuing we confirmed we could add user and privileges in the '_1' feature dataset. Next, we deleted the geometric network in the original feature dataset and renamed the feature classes and dataset as '_orig.' We deleted the geometric network in the '_1' dataset, then renamed the classes by removing the '_1' in each class and the dataset. Thus, we returned to the original feature dataset, restoring the user/privilege add/update function, while preserving the class names and source. At this point we added a couple of fields/domains. The geometric network was rebuilt successfully in the "new" feature dataset. Services were restarted and the dataset was registered as versioned. We discovered had to republish the services as we should have (we think) registered the dataset as versioned before starting the services. Our working feature dataset (_orig)will be deleted along with any remaining '_1' items listed outside of the dataset in Catalog after we are satisfied we are back to normal. I believe I have documented the steps here in the order we performed them. Sigh.....
Are you able to apply privileges using the Change Privileges tool?
Either approach gives me the same result. The GP tool gives me a ‘succeeded’ message but no user is added and privileged.
It seems that you were trying to grant privileges to a Windows Authenticated login..can you check if granting privileges to a Database Authenticated login makes any difference?
1. I can add user/privileges to other feature datasets in this geodatabase.
2. Yes, when trying to add any user in this feature dataset, including non-Windows domain users.
3. Yes, the users have had privileges granted previously in this geodatabase to other feature datasets.
4. No, not yet. Only through my connection on my desktop.
We use Windows authentication to sign on. I tried to add user/roles as sde, dbo, public, guest, and GIS, same behavior, system chugs along, then goes ‘Not Responding’ for a bit, then User record disappears from dialogue box.
Sounds like it's something specific with this feature dataset. Can you try copying/pasting the feature dataset to the same geodatabase and then try granting privileges?
I tried this, but the copy/paste is not as straightforward as I thought (and I can blame my inexperience too). I can right-click and copy an existing feature class, but when I try to paste it in the new feature dataset, the paste command is greyed out. If I use the feature class to feature class GP tool, I can’t have the feature class named the same in the original and new feature datasets. So, I used a slightly different new feature class name, and the class was created in the new feature dataset with the GP tool. Upon opening the Privileges dialogue box for the new feature dataset, the sde user and privileges were there (a good sign). I was then able to add users and assign privileges. Thus, Jake as you indicated, there appears to be something wrong with the original feature dataset. I sense the path forward is to create new feature classes, named with a ‘_new’ in the class name for each class, in the new feature dataset. Once I am satisfied all the features have been copied and the data are intact, I would delete the original feature dataset, and rename the new feature classes and new feature dataset with the original naming convention to preserve source?
I have a geometric network in the original feature dataset which will not copy using the feature class to feature class tool. I can copy/paste this item, but the target fields are named with an ‘_1.’ I am not sure what the ramifications are having different field names, or if I should recreate the original geometric network from the feature class(s) using the GP tool. Advice appreciated.
Thanks for your help!
You can actually copy the entire feature dataset by right-clicking on the dataset > Copy > right-click on the geodatabase connection > Paste. This will give you a new feature dataset with the same name including a _1. The feature classes will also include an _1. With this option though, all components of the feature dataset are copied, including the geometric network. You can delete the original feature dataset, and then rename the new feature dataset/feature classes back to their original names.
I figured there was a more efficient way! Let me give it try and I will let you know.
Thank you. I started down this same path originally, but got worried when I saw the ‘_1’ in target fields dialogue box.