Unable to add privileges to a feature dataset

Jump to solution
04-23-2018 12:44 PM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to add users and update their privileges to a feature dataset using ArcCatalog, which has no users currently (and I am not sure why).  I have tried to add privileges to both the versioned and unversioned versions of this dataset.  I can enter the user (DOMAIN\USER) and select the privileges.  When I click on Apply, the system chugs away, then the user record in the Privileges dialogue disappears.  I had this problem before, but cannot recall how I resolved it.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
JayHodny

Hi all, this worked fairly well.  We could not rename the classes with the geometric network present in the feature dataset.  Fortunately, our network is small and not complicated.  Before starting we reconciled and posted our edits.  We create a back up of our sde geodatabase.  We compressed the database (hoping this might resolve the original issue but it did not).  The feature and map services were stopped.  We made a copy of the feature dataset as described earlier ('_1').  Before continuing we confirmed we could add user and privileges in the '_1' feature dataset.  Next, we deleted the geometric network in the original feature dataset and renamed the feature classes and dataset as '_orig.'  We deleted the geometric network in the '_1' dataset, then renamed the classes by removing the '_1' in each class and the dataset.  Thus, we returned to the original feature dataset, restoring the user/privilege add/update function, while preserving the class names and source.  At this point we added a couple of fields/domains.  The geometric network was rebuilt successfully in the "new" feature dataset.  Services were restarted and the dataset was registered as versioned.  We discovered had to republish the services as we should have (we think) registered the dataset as versioned before starting the services.  Our working feature dataset (_orig)will be deleted along with any remaining '_1' items listed outside of the dataset in Catalog after we are satisfied we are back to normal.  I believe I have documented the steps here in the order we performed them.  Sigh..... 

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Rather, create a Temporary File Geodatabase > Copy the entire Feature dataset from the Enterprise gdb into the new File gdb(this copies the Geometric Network too, and serves as a backup of the data as well) > Delete the data from the Enterprise gdb > Copy the Feature Dataset from the File gdb and paste it in the Enterprise gdb > Grant the privileges as needed.

JayHodny

Excellent, thank you! I get nervous copying and pasting.

0 Kudos
Brian_McLeer
Occasional Contributor II

I had a similar issue, and I could not assign privileges with a blank feature dataset. Once I added a dummy feature class within the feature dataset, I was able to assign privileges then I removed the dummy feature class and added the real ones. 

Brian