Select to view content in your preferred language

Traditional Versioning Replication with Edits to Base

Jump to solution
02-15-2024 06:32 AM
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey All,

We view our data through SQL, and would like to replicate our Geodatabase one way to another geodatabase, how can we accomplish this while also being able to view our data from SQL as replication does not allow the moving of edits to the base?

Enterprise 11.2 geodatabase

Thanks in advance!

Cody

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson As soon as something is traditionally versioned it will get an SDE_STATE_ID field (regardless of whether edits are moved to base) and this value is used along with several system-maintained tables to manage all the edits in default and versions. If you just use the versioned views, you don't need to worry too much about what's happening behind the scenes (because the views handle it all for you).

There are several technical articles out there that explain this process (and the waters can get pretty deep on this stuff)

Here's a good introduction to traditional versioning: Versioning 101 - ArcUser Technical Article - Esri Community

Here's a description of the system tables: ArcGIS Help 10.1 - Versioned tables in a geodatabase in SQL Server

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

Even though the edits aren't moved to the base tables you can still query the data using SQL. You'll just need to use versioned views to query the data in default (or other versions). You can find examples of this technique in this page of the online help. These versioned views will do the hard work of joining together all the edits in the base, adds, and delete tables to show you the correct rows.

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @RobertKrisher 

Thank you for the response! I was also curious if you knew, we found that the database when traditionally versioned without moving to base, it has a SDE_STATE_ID, in what case would that state ID change?

Thanks again!

Cody

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson As soon as something is traditionally versioned it will get an SDE_STATE_ID field (regardless of whether edits are moved to base) and this value is used along with several system-maintained tables to manage all the edits in default and versions. If you just use the versioned views, you don't need to worry too much about what's happening behind the scenes (because the views handle it all for you).

There are several technical articles out there that explain this process (and the waters can get pretty deep on this stuff)

Here's a good introduction to traditional versioning: Versioning 101 - ArcUser Technical Article - Esri Community

Here's a description of the system tables: ArcGIS Help 10.1 - Versioned tables in a geodatabase in SQL Server

0 Kudos
CodyPatterson
Regular Contributor

Hey @RobertKrisher 

I think that answers most of my questions, I appreciate the resources greatly!

Cody

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@CodyPatterson glad I was able to help!

0 Kudos