Traditional & Branch Versioning in the same database

01-07-2022 11:52 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can we use both Traditional & Branch Versioning in the same enterprise database? I think the answer is yes, but I wonder how Reconcile/Posting would work. If you Reconcile/Post through a database connections would that only work for the Traditional features, and then Reconcile/Post through the service would only work for the Branch features? There wouldn't be any kind of conflict?

Also, since Replication doesn't work with Branch Versioning, has anyone found a good way to synchronize a Branched Versioned dataset to another enterprise database?

13 Replies
SeanRedar
New Contributor III

Question 1- is branch versioning available for layers published from a user managed data store?  (assuming no). 

Question 2 -  given I have many feature classes (30+) I would like to publish with branch versioning enabled, is it recommended to publish each layer alone or several together, like in the case with have a particular business line that has many feature classes.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Question 1- is branch versioning available for layers published from a user managed data store?  (assuming no). 

Answer: No, you must have an Enterprise Geodatabase - Oracle, SQL Server, PostreSQL.

Question 2 -  given I have many feature classes (30+) I would like to publish with branch versioning enabled, is it recommended to publish each layer alone or several together, like in the case with have a particular business line that has many feature classes.

Answer: it depends on the size of each featureclass and the business case that you are trying to solve, I would group them by editing workflow and then decide if shall break into subgroups.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
Scott_Wolfskill
New Contributor II

I am in a similar situation, but with enterprise data being shared with a client via a feature service.  We are utilizing branch verisioning to manage edits on our side and had originally envisioned having two way editing using a distributed collaboration between our enterprise portals.  However, our client is on an earlier version of Server and cannot enter a two way editing relationship at this time.  We instead passed the portal service through to AGOL to share via a partnered collaboration, which has been working well in a read only capacity.  

The client still has the desire to edit the data and I had hoped a check out could be created from default so they could complete data edits and return them to us for check in.  This is apparently not possible now, but it would be great to see this kind of functionality in the future.  For now we are handling all edits for the client, which is acceptable, but it is limiting, and we would like to find a better solution for the future.

Does this group have any suggestions for this use case or see anything I am missing here?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

1. Geodatabase Replication is not an option because you are using Pro Branch Versioning

Prepare data for replication—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Note: Branch versioned data and data registered with traditional versioning that uses the option to move edits to base are not supported with geodatabase replication in ArcGIS Pro.

2. Geodata service and Take data offline with feature service sync capability

This might be an option for you. Read more in the links below.

Geodata service—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

Take data offline with feature service sync capability

Introduction to distributed data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

3. FME Workbench + FME Server

and/or

ArcGIS Data Interoperability + Model Builder + ArcGIS Server Geoprocessing Service

you can customize and create your own tool to synchronize the data, using out of the box functionality.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov