Unable to switch Traditional version to Branch Version

Jump to solution
12-18-2022 04:44 AM
shamnasPC
New Contributor III

Hi 

I am getting "RegisterAsVersioned ERROR 160946: This operation not allowed"  while switching from traditional version to branch version. Please see the below steps that has been carried out 

1) Unregister as Versioned and compress the database

2) Enable Versioning  with Branch version

Please see attached screenshot for more info

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Please, open a ticket with Esri Support to investigate this further. There are many reasons your data might fail to register as branch versions and return ERROR 160946.

Register a dataset as branch versioned—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Tips:

A. Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository must be 10.6 or later, recommend to upgrade using the ArcGIS Pro Version that you are using.

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

B. make sure the geodatabase connection file that you are using is set to branch version

Connect to a branch version—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

1. Follow these steps to set the database connection to the default branch version:
    2. Connect to your geodatabase in the Databases folder in the Catalog pane.
    3. Right-click your database connection and click Geodatabase Connection Properties 
    4. Select Branch for Versioning Type.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Each time you use this connection, you will connect to the default branch version for the geodatabase.

C. if you are using SQL Server and the Geodatabase Spatial Data was created with SDE_BINARY then the data must be migrated to SQL Server Geometry Spatial Type

Data migration from one storage type to another—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Please, open a ticket with Esri Support to investigate this further. There are many reasons your data might fail to register as branch versions and return ERROR 160946.

Register a dataset as branch versioned—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Tips:

A. Enterprise Geodatabase ArcSDE Repository must be 10.6 or later, recommend to upgrade using the ArcGIS Pro Version that you are using.

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

B. make sure the geodatabase connection file that you are using is set to branch version

Connect to a branch version—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

1. Follow these steps to set the database connection to the default branch version:
    2. Connect to your geodatabase in the Databases folder in the Catalog pane.
    3. Right-click your database connection and click Geodatabase Connection Properties 
    4. Select Branch for Versioning Type.
    5. Click OK.
    6. Each time you use this connection, you will connect to the default branch version for the geodatabase.

C. if you are using SQL Server and the Geodatabase Spatial Data was created with SDE_BINARY then the data must be migrated to SQL Server Geometry Spatial Type

Data migration from one storage type to another—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov