Thumbnails each layer on SDE ?

02-13-2017 01:24 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Why was I able not to create thumbnails for each SDE layers on my Citrix ArcCatalog ? Would that work with SDE ?

As I am working on my Metadata in my Spreadsheet for each layer and document them. As I go through each of them and tried to create them not it would not let me to ?

I have looked into the ArcGIS Help desk for 10.3.1 but it does not provide me more details.

Help !

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

Are you having problems loading a image you already have to the thumbnail metadata?  Or are you having trouble making the image.  We are able to store the thumbnails in our metadata in Oracle SDE.  Here is our directions to our users.

How to make a Thumbnail

At Preview Tab  in ArcCatalog.  Wait for the full Preview to draw then

click on the Create Thumbnail button on the geography toolbar.  This will generate the thumbnail and put it on the Description tab automatically.

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Much Thanks to you. Our Enterprise is Citrix and when I load them on my ArcCatalog and did follow what you described and I have that Create Thumbnail icon here and shows me it is greyout.?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if its a permissions issue...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I thought so.  I tried other layers and it showed me it denied due to permissions ...

0 Kudos
KevinDunlop
Occasional Contributor III

Yeah, you will need to give that user Insert/Delete/Update privileges to that feature class.  Once you finish updating the metadata, you can remove the privileges.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I think it is an Administrator who sets up this Citrix Enterprise that does that. Don't know if our Forest will allow that..but the reason for that is to give the end user to see each layer  in the Preview  if you know what I mean....

0 Kudos