Switching version breaks workspace structre

05-13-2019 02:20 PM
GeorgeRiner
New Contributor III

we run a transactional versioning geodatabase off a Microsoft SQL Server (standard edition 2016) with our enterprise geodatabase at version 10.6.1

We use the versioning as a workflow management tool for a staff of about 20 people editing their individual versions; another staff of about 5 review the versions and then reconcile and post them to the 'DEFAULT' version (aka the production version).

Our versioned geodatabase is built of 3 feature datasets with 3-8 feature classes in each feature dataset. I.e. switching a version switches all 3 feature datasets and their feature classes.  Normally this is not a problem. In our TOC / 'List by Source' (aka workspaces) the structure of the 3 feature datasets and their feature classes is correctly represented in the nested levels with little '+' and '-' boxes to expand and collapse.

Once in a while, a reviewer will switch to someone's version and the workspace structure breaks apart and is flattened out. No longer showing the feature datasets, nor even the name of the versioned workspace !

We've watched the staff in their process and they don't appear to be doing anything wrong when creating their versions and there is no one person for which this problem occurs all the time. This happens maybe 1 out of 50 versions we go through.

Finally, we have found that if the staff person simply renames their version.  No editing of the version's content - just changes 1 letter of the version's name - the problem goes away and the reviewer can switch to that version and it correctly maintains the workspace structure in the TOC.

In case you wonder, we keep the geodatabase compressed (i.e. the "Compress Geodatabase" action under "Administration" when right clicking on a .SDE file for that geodatabase.

Anybody have any idea what's going on?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi George,

This seems very unique situation. When you create a version, feature dataset and feature classes remain same and ArcGIS create a state_id as pointer for that version to track changes on state_lineages.

When you create a version and not able to switch on an existing mxd, at the same time have you tried to create a new mxd and access data from that version.

There are many ways to switch version. One way to change is right click on version in TOC and change version, another way is to use "change version" from "version manager" toolbar. Have you tried all option and check if it is specific to mxd or tool.

Is there any trend for the issue like only occur for a particular user, machine or name of version.

Can this issue reproduced on demand.  Please confirm.

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
GeorgeRiner
New Contributor III

Biraja:

Have not tried accessing the version from a new/blank MXD.  Our production map document is rather elaborate and rebuilding it from scratch is a tedious process.  But I can try this on a blank/new MXD and see what happens.

It has been the case that using either the right-click 'change version' or the version manager toolbar's change version causes the same result.

There is trend as you suggest, but it's not an exclusive trend. The owner of the version has been able to create many versions without this problem. This user currently has 12 versions working in the same database and only 1 of the versions currently exhibits this behavior.  This person also tends to work at the same workstation, which is shared by a couple of other people (all 3 are part-time staff).

I am unable to produce this behavior on demand.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know the results.

Thanks,

:George

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

If this behavior happens to one version, then you can reconcile and post that version to parent or Default and then recreate it. This may help.

Thanks,

Biraja

0 Kudos
GeorgeRiner
New Contributor III

Well... but reconciling and posting a version to its parent without the reviewer being able to review the version would be contrary to our process. And since the workspace breaks apart into each of the individual feature classes (the feature datasets disappear) it doesn't seem possible to reconcile and post the version as it no longer appears in the Data Sources tab of the TOC.

As I mentioned, I've found that merely making a single character change to the string value of the version's name causes the problem to go away for that version.

I've attached a video showing what the reviewer sees when they switch to the user's version.  I've stripped away all the other layers and data sources in the map. You can see that the user's name is TERRYP and the version name is "RT_Andersonia_4879". I expand the "change version" dialog box to show that user TerryP has 12 versions currently in the database.  I select the version named "RT_Andersonia_4879" and watch the workspace structure in the TOC completely break apart to individual feature classes with no reference to any feature datasets or any versioned database/workspace.

That's it. No keyboard action happening, no other mouse buttons.

The only way to recover from this is to exit ArcMap.

Currently, this is the only version by user TerryP that shows this behavior.  All other 11 versions by that user will correctly switch over with no problem.

:George

0 Kudos
BirajaNayak
Esri Contributor

Hi George,

Thanks for the video. Please contact Esri Support Services to look into this specific issue.

Regards,

Biraja

0 Kudos