Select to view content in your preferred language

ST_SHAPELIB + Oracle 19c + ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1 = ORA-28578 error

11-05-2021 03:15 AM
Jean-FrançoisMourgues
New Contributor II

I'm upgrading our database from Oracle 11G to Oracle 19C. Our ArcGIS version still the same : Enterprise 10.6.1

I'm getting a problem when using the SHAPELIB library (same that was installed in the Oracle 11C server :

ORA-28578: erreur de protocole lors du callback depuis une procédure externe
ORA-06512: à "SDE.ST_GEOMETRY_SHAPELIB_PKG", ligne 12
ORA-06512: à "SDE.ST_POINT", ligne 181
28578. 00000 -  "protocol error during callback from an external procedure"
*Cause:    An internal protocol error occurred while trying to execute a
           callback to the Oracle server from the user's 3GL routine.
*Action:   Contact Oracle customer support.

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?

16 Replies
Jean-FrançoisMourgues
New Contributor II

OK George, we can't go further... how can we contact Esri technical support please?

-- Sebastian

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @Jean-FrançoisMourgues  - If you are international, you need to contact your local distributor for assistance. If you are located in the US here is the contact info: https://www.esri.com/en-us/contact#c=us&t=5

Please report back the end result(s). Thanks!

--- George T.
0 Kudos
LiJia
by
New Contributor

We are facing the same issue.  Where we copied the library file to the DB server, configure the extproc.ora file to point to the file, restart DB instance, create/replace the library to the new location.  Alter the package.  Still got the same error.  Would appreciate if you let us know how you resolve the issue.

CM0001
by
New Contributor II

We have the same issue. @Jean-FrançoisMourgues,@LiJia Did you ever resolve this?

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Note: you need to copy the new version of the esri st_geometry library for Oracle 19c to your Oracle Database Server, we have st_geometry library for ArcMap and for ArcGIS Pro, make sure you download the correct version from My Esri.

Configure extproc to access ST_Geometry in Oracle—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

1. Download the ST_Geometry library from My Esri and place it in a directory on the Oracle machine.
    Note:

Be sure to download or copy the correct library for your Oracle operating system.

The ST_Geometry library requires the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package (x64) when deployed on a Microsoft Windows server. See ArcGIS requirements for Oracle for the package version required. If this package is not present on the Oracle server, download it from the Microsoft site and install it.

FYI: If you still have an issue, then open a ticket with Esri Technical Support for further assistance.

Contact Esri Technical Support  - USA

Esri International Support Services - Outside USA  |  Contact your distributor

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
CM0001
by
New Contributor II

Since the ArcGIS Pro downloads included references to 21c (i.e. - Oracle Instant Client Downloads (v21.6.0.0.0) for Linux x86-64 (64-bit) etc.) we installed Oracle 21c on a Linux server. Is the ArcGIS Pro ST_Geometry Library (Oracle - libst_shapelib.so) only valid up to version19c of Oracle? Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@CM0001 - It works with 21c, but officially is not certified.

ArcGIS 11.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.1 requirements for Oracle—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS ...

I have myself a 21c Linux server and the ArcGIS Pro st_geometry library for Oracle works just fine.

Note, Oracle 21c is a short-term release, 21c is the "innovation release", the long-term release is still 19c with a long patch lifecycle.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov