Performance issues on ArcGIS 10.4 and SQLServer Express

03-14-2018 05:28 AM
deleted-user-0W0-oLHxDjCX
New Contributor III

Hi everyone

I would like to know if there are some reporting about performance issues on ArcGIS Server 10.4 Workgroup and SQL Server Express 2012 SP4. The server machine specification is showed below:

We have a polygon layer (parcel) with numbers of about 200.000 features. This layer has many relationship classes (something around 6 tables with 200,000-300,000 records each).

We did all spacial and traditional indexes and nothing solved the performance issues.

Our time response revolves arround 5-7s on each pan on the map.

Sincerely

Ezequias

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ezequias,

The poor performance could be due to a number of factors.  One thing to check is when the last time the geodatabase was compressed.  If the geodatabase is edited often, you will want to compress the database on a regular basis.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

We did the compress recently. The editing process will not be performed briefly.

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

What is the geometry type of the feature class?  You can check this by right-clicking on the feature class in Catalog window > Properties > General tab.  Under Geometry Properties it will state the type (i..e Geometry).  If it is using Geometry I would recommend copying the feature class to SDEBINARY.  I've had better performance with SDEBINARY compared to the native Geometry storage type.  Below was a test I performed.  I used PerfQAnalyzer to compare rendering times.  The PA_Streets layer is stored with GEOMETRY storage, and PA_Streets_SDEBINARY is stored with SDEBINARY.

The feature class contains over 1.1 million records.  You can see the SDEBINARY layer only took 12 seconds to render compared to 306 seconds for the layer stored with GEOMETRY. 

To change the geometry of the feature class you can do a copy/paste into the geodatabase and choose the keyword SDEBINARY.

New Contributor III

Thank you so much for this suggestion. We are performing more tests now with PerfQAnalyzer. We are identifying the layers with problem. The first tests are on polygons (parcel) and Building (with 2mi of vertices).

We also updated the SQL Server 2012 to SQL Server 2014 and the performance is getting better.

I will keep you informed.

Sincerely

Ezequias Rocha

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Dear Jake

PerfQAnalyzer 10.4 is not considering decimal places markers on countries that switches "," and "." positioning it as decimal place separator and thousands separator (IE: Brazil).

We found this problem on the log file. We did a work around by changing regional definitions.

Best regards

Ezequias

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Dear Jake Skinner

Some numbers to consider:

Buildings (polygon) : 2,389,643 vertices  35.94666s

Parcel (polygon)     :    402,431 vertices 19.68752s

Sincerely

Ezequias

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

What geometry type are these feature classes stored in?  If they are using GEOMETRY, can you test with SDEBINARY?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Could you tell me how?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

You mentioned:

"To change the geometry of the feature class you can do a copy/paste into the geodatabase and choose the keyword SDEBINARY."

What I see was in the moment of creation of a new feature class into geodatabase.

Am I correct?

0 Kudos