Migrating to Azure SQL from On-Prem SQL Enterprise

Jump to solution
11-13-2020 10:24 AM
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

We are in the process of migrating our GIS infrastructure up to the Microsoft Azure cloud.  We currently use on-premises Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise for our geodatabases.  The plan is to move our SQL geodatabases into Azure SQL.  Esri’s online help titled “Functionality differences for geodatabases in Azure SQL Database” indicates that “Use either Microsoft Geometry or Geography data types for the spatial fields in your feature classes; sdebinary storage is not supported.”

An inspection of feature classes in our current SQL geodatabases reveals that we are using “Geometry spatial type” (see attached image).

My question:  Is the “Geometry spatial type” that I see associated with feature classes in our current on-premises SQL Server Enterprise the same as the “Microsoft Geometry” data type mentioned in the Esri online article that is used in Azure SQL?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Joe Flannery

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joe - Yep, those are the same. The help is saying that SDE binary is not supported. The default for new data has been SQL server geometry since 10.1 (I think...)

You should be good.

--- George T.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joe - Yep, those are the same. The help is saying that SDE binary is not supported. The default for new data has been SQL server geometry since 10.1 (I think...)

You should be good.

--- George T.
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III

George:

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  Your response pleases me as it should make our move to the Azure cloud less complicated.

Sincerely

Joe

0 Kudos