Failed to add Utility Network Feature Service Layers

12-13-2018 06:43 AM
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

So I published to my ArcGIS Enterprise site a set of utility network layers based on UPDM 2018.  I can view these in map viewer and scene viewer and even in ArcMap.  But when I try to add the feature service to ArcPro it fails and I get the notification "Failed to add facility network data" with no further information. 

Any pointers on what I am missing here would be much appreciated.

Thx,

Ed#

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Edward Blair , 

Did you follow the steps explained here: Gas Utility Network Configuration | ArcGIS Solutions for Gas to set up your Utility Network? Did you use the UPDM data model UPDM 2018 Edition  as asset package in the Apply Asset Package tool? 

If so, maybe tdewitte-esristaff can give you some pointers.

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Xander -

Thanks for the feedback. I followed the steps in Gas Utility Network

Configuration

<http://solutions.arcgis.com/gas/help/gas-utility-network-configuration/>

to the best of my ability. Though I admit that I'm not sure if the

results of the deployment tool

<http://solutions.arcgis.com/shared/help/deployment-tool/#what-you-get> were

complete or correct.

I was just hoping that the error message I got when trying to add the

feature service layers would have a little more info.

Ed

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

I think I found my problem.  Its at least *one* problem anyway.  Checked the server log and found that it was choking on a feature with an empty geometry.   Need to see if I can find and resolve the offending feature.

Ed

EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Found that there are no truly "empty" geometries in the data, though there are some lines that are quite short.   Need to find out what geometry characteristics that server uses to conclude that a feature geometry is "empty"...

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

A little more info here.  Rebuilt the source database with a smaller set of data.   Validated the network topology and only a handful of topology errors remain.   Re-published map/feature services.

Now I can open and edit feature services in the Enterprise "Map Viewer", which I take as a good sign.

However, when I try to add these services to ArcGIS Pro I get nothing.  Examining the server log shows  a bunch of "operation was attempted on an empty geometry" errors (below).   Scratching my head here.  

- Is Pro sensitive to lines with parametric curves?

- The database is SQL*Server 2017.  Is there something about geometry data storage in this database that Pro doesn't like?

- Some features have no data - StructureJunctions, for example.  Does Pro not like this?

If anyone has seen this kind of thing any pointers would be appreciated.

Thx,

Ed

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Wonder if this could be related to the Error Layers that are associated with the Utility Network that's in the map?  I've tried publishing the service with these things turned on and turned off and have seen no difference.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did any documentation say that a SQL Server 2017 database has been certified for Pro?

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Michael -

As I've spoken with Tech Support (a couple times now) this was not

mentioned as a problem. Guess I can double-check. Thanks for the feedback.

Ed

0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor

Yep.. Seems to be

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/data/databases/database-requirements-sqlserver.htm

0 Kudos