Error opening Feature Class after creating a new relationship class

06-19-2019 12:15 PM
AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

I created a new M:N relationship class in our SQL 2010 Enterprise Geodatabase using ArcGIS 10.6.1.  The relationship class was created using a data owner connection.  When I try a view these feature classes in a viewer or editor connection to the geodatabase, I get the following error: Open Failed, Error opening feature class, Insufficient permissions.  Then it lists the name of the relationship class and STATE_ID = 0.    

This error only occurs on the feature classes that participate in the relationship class.  I then revoke the privileges, click Apply, and then grant privileges again.  Once I do this, it removes the error.  I am wondering if this is a common error and known workflow to do a refresh of the geodatabase privileges every time a relationship class is created? 

Thank you, 

Allison

2 Replies
AfreenVirani
Esri Contributor

Hello Allison,

When a relationship class is created between two objects (tables, feature classes, etc.) you want to make sure that the user (viewer/editor) has permissions to view/edit BOTH the objects. It is not required to revoke and regrant permissions to the objects to be able to access them if sufficient privileges are applied to begin with.

I do notice, however, that you may be at an unsupported version of SQL Server for ArcGIS 10.6.1. The minimum supported SQL Server database for ArcGIS 10.6.1 is SQL Server 2012 SP3. Strange behaviors are commonly seen when unsupported versions are used, so it could be a possible cause of the issue you are seeing.

For your reference, I have listed below documentation that highlights the Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.6.x:

https://desktop.arcgis.com/en/system-requirements/10.6/database-requirements-sqlserver.htm

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Afreen

AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

Thank you Afreen,

I misspoke about my SQL Version.  We are on SQL Server 2012, but I am still checking into what service pack we are on.  Once I find out, I will test again.  

Both of the objects that participate in the relationship class are in a feature dataset and I am also creating the relationship class in the same dataset.  I have verified that my SQL users have view/edit on the dataset.  Once I create the relationship class, I can view other features in the dataset, but I only get the error on the features that participate in the relationship class. 

Thank you for your help and I will post again when I find out what service pack we are on.

Allison  

0 Kudos