Enterprise Geodatabase - Migrating Feature Classes using Context Menu

Jump to solution
04-11-2022 11:45 AM
JesseJoe
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am looking to use the Context Menu to move feature classes from one Enterprise Geodatabase to another Enterprise Geodatabase.

Intended Process

I will be using ArcGIS Pro 2.7.6, looking to 'right-click' OLD EGDB feature layers to COPY then to PASTE to NEW EGDB feature layers.

See below for particulars

The Old EGDB : GDB Version 10.2 / Sql Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

The New EGDB: GDB Version 10.9.0.2.8 / Sql Server 2019 on Windows Server 2019 Standard

Hired Consultant Advice

Follow the steps below.

1. Reconsile and Post to Default the OLD EGDB
  2. Delete all versions except for Default the OLD EGDB
  3. Compress the OLD EGDB
  4. Unregister the OLD EGDB
  5. Chosen to 'Context-Menu' COPY Feature Classes from OLD to NEW EGDB
  6. Register the NEW EGDB

Seven Questions

1. For Step 1 - do I simply run GP tool 'Reconcile Versions?' OR could I 'context-menu' the OLD EGDB, access 'Versions' and 'Reconcile/Post' each branch version individually?

2. Do I simply DEL branch versions as revealed in 'Versions' as revealed in the above process?

3. Run GP tool - 'Compress' on OLD EGDB?

4. Run GP tool - 'Unregister As Versioned' on OLD EGDB.?

also - with this OLD EGDB still in Production, would I have to run GP tool ' Register as Versioned' to get it working as normal afterwards?

5. Are there any marked advantages of a 'Paste Special' opposed to a regular 'Paste' when using the Context-Menu to migrate feature classes?

6. Run GP tool - 'Register as Versioned' on NEW EGDB?

I am treading lightly as my OLD EGDB is still in a production environment. I wouldn't want to make the  OLD EGDB in-operable while trying to migrate data to the NEW EGDB.

Looking forward to any advise anyone has on these topics, sorry it's allot. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseJoe
New Contributor III

I've worked closely with Esri Canada Technical support to shed light on a workflow:

Three system versions were identified that were tied to the DEFAULT version.  With these system versions dating back to five years ago, I won't be reconciling and posting these versions to the DEFAULT version as this increases likelihood I'll be introducing errors.

Also, since I don't have any named versions, there isn't a need to compress the old EGDB.

A Context-Menu 'Copy and Paste' will copy feature classes with the state of the DEFAULT version over to the NEW EGDB. To note, the NEW EGDB will be Non-Versioned

I can decide to specify the NEW EGDB as Versioned if editing is required by multiple people, which isn't the case.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JesseJoe
New Contributor III

I've worked closely with Esri Canada Technical support to shed light on a workflow:

Three system versions were identified that were tied to the DEFAULT version.  With these system versions dating back to five years ago, I won't be reconciling and posting these versions to the DEFAULT version as this increases likelihood I'll be introducing errors.

Also, since I don't have any named versions, there isn't a need to compress the old EGDB.

A Context-Menu 'Copy and Paste' will copy feature classes with the state of the DEFAULT version over to the NEW EGDB. To note, the NEW EGDB will be Non-Versioned

I can decide to specify the NEW EGDB as Versioned if editing is required by multiple people, which isn't the case.

0 Kudos