Select to view content in your preferred language

Edit feature layer in EGDB that is also published on Portal

Jump to solution
Wednesday
Peter_Green
New Contributor III

Good afternoon. 

I have a simple point feature layer that resides in an Enterprise Geodatabase/SQL Server (SDE). I created the layer to use in Field Maps. It includes various domains and attribute rules that I'd like to retain.

I have subsequently published this feature layer to our Portal as a Map Image (reference registered data) including the feature option so that it can ultimately be edited in Field Maps. This seemed to work fine and I am able to use the data in Portal to create a new Webmap.

The issue I've run into, and can't quite understand, is that after the feature layer was published I am no longer able to edit the feature layer in ArcGIS Pro. Any edits I try to make to the feature layer results in an error - "error 000464 cannot get exclusive schema lock...".

I appreciate why this may be the case but wondering if there is a way around this. Down the road I may, for example chose to make edits to the data or need to make changes to the attribute rules which will be easier in Pro. The only solution I can find is to delete the feature layer from our Portal which seems to remove the schema lock allowing me to edit the data in Portal.

This is not a long term option of course so wondering if there might be something I'm missing here.

A couple of points here

• Versions: Enterprise 11.3 and Pro 3.3
  • Our Portal and Server are federated.

Thanks for any advice.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Marshal
Occasional Contributor

You need to stop the map service in ArcGIS Server Manager to perform edits in ArcGIS Pro.  Stopping the map service will release the lock.

Alternatively, I believe you can disable schema locking for the service in ArcGIS Server Manager.  I haven't used that feature, but it sounds like it will prevent schema locking and allow edits while the service is still running.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/administer/windows/disabling-schema-locking-on-a-map-...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marshal
Occasional Contributor

You need to stop the map service in ArcGIS Server Manager to perform edits in ArcGIS Pro.  Stopping the map service will release the lock.

Alternatively, I believe you can disable schema locking for the service in ArcGIS Server Manager.  I haven't used that feature, but it sounds like it will prevent schema locking and allow edits while the service is still running.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/administer/windows/disabling-schema-locking-on-a-map-...

Peter_Green
New Contributor III

Thanks for the speedy reply, Marshal. That's done the trick. I was able to stop the service, make the edits and restart the service. 

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@Peter_Green 
Publish as a Feature Service and you will be able to edit the data using the service in ArcGIS Pro, you can also edit the data using the service in Portal/ArcGIS Server web apps, and you shall also be able to edit the ArcSDE SQLServer featureclass directly in ArcGIS Pro as well.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |