Database migration from SQL Server 2017 to Postgres

Jump to solution
02-16-2023 06:16 PM
yockee
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I want to migrate from EGDB Sql Server into EGDB Postgresql. Here is the condition:

- EGDB Sql Server (non versioning) reside on VM. The size of the EGDB is not large, only 50GB

- EGDB Postgresql will be on the cloud

Questions:

1. What are the considerations I should take ? Is copy feature class to feature class suffice enough ?

2. There are BLOB fields containing photos. Will it be a smooth copying (say, using Export or Import tools or maybe feature class to feature class) between different databases ?

3. How can I do this in the quickest and most correct way possible ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

The best (and safest) way I have seen this done is using the ArcGIS tools (copy / paste) from the old SQL Server (data owners) to the new PostgreSQL in the schemas that you want. Using that workflow will allow the conversion into the correct repository ("SDE / GDB") tables.

When you copy of the feature classes with the blobs, it should copy them over to the new EGDB without issue.

This is the quickest and safest way that I have seen.

No idea how long it will take to copy. It may be a safe idea to copy to a file geodatabase as a backup.

Referenced from my post here: https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/database-migration-from-oracle-12c-to-postgres/m...

--- George T.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

The best (and safest) way I have seen this done is using the ArcGIS tools (copy / paste) from the old SQL Server (data owners) to the new PostgreSQL in the schemas that you want. Using that workflow will allow the conversion into the correct repository ("SDE / GDB") tables.

When you copy of the feature classes with the blobs, it should copy them over to the new EGDB without issue.

This is the quickest and safest way that I have seen.

No idea how long it will take to copy. It may be a safe idea to copy to a file geodatabase as a backup.

Referenced from my post here: https://community.esri.com/t5/geodatabase-questions/database-migration-from-oracle-12c-to-postgres/m...

--- George T.