Creating SQL Server geodatabase in ArcGIS 10.0

Jump to solution
09-11-2014 02:07 AM
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

we're trying to script the creation of a large number of geodatabases for a SQL Server instance (currently, but not necessarily Express). This seems to be part of ArcToolbox from 10.1, but what about 10.0? I can use SSEUTIL to create the database, but how do I populate the schema to turn it into a geodatabase? If I use GP in 10.1 or 10.2, I won't be able to use the database from 10.0, right?

Thanks, Martin

PS I'm still a bit confused about the structure here - if this is the wrong location, can someone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Martin,

ArcGIS Desktop 10 clients can access 10.1 and 10.2 geodatabases.  See the following link:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Also, note the following in the above link:

Esri recommends that ArcGIS 10 clients connecting to 10.1 or later release geodatabases use 10 SP2, which contains several fixes to improve the user experience for connecting to 10.1 or later release geodatabases.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Martin,

ArcGIS Desktop 10 clients can access 10.1 and 10.2 geodatabases.  See the following link:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Also, note the following in the above link:

Esri recommends that ArcGIS 10 clients connecting to 10.1 or later release geodatabases use 10 SP2, which contains several fixes to improve the user experience for connecting to 10.1 or later release geodatabases.

MartinAmeskamp

Hi Jake, yes, I forgot about that, thanks for pointing this out!

Martin

0 Kudos
MartinAmeskamp

Right, now that I know that remotely creating databases for my SQLEXPRESS instance is the way to go, it turns out that I can't access that instance remotely from ArcCatalog

I've tried and checked various things: The server (SQL Server 2008 R2) sits on a WS2008 R2 machine with ArcGIS 10.0 SP54, I'm trying to access it from Windows 8 with ArcGIS 10.2.1. I'm using Windows authentication, the same user is logged in on all machines, has remote desktop privileges (local admin rights, too), has sysadmin role on the SQL Server. Logging in remotely with SQL Server Management Studio works fine, it's only ArcCatalog (Add Database Server) that refuses to talk to my server. The error message says:

Register Database Server: Cannot connect to the database server

Failed to connect to Database Server.

Connecting locally works just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Martin

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Just a thought, but is SQL Server Native Client installed on your ArcGIS Desktop machine?

MartinAmeskamp

I'm afraid so, yes. Also, TCP/IP is enabled.

Thanks all the same, Martin

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Try connecting using the IP address of the server rather than the server name.

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
  1. If the Windows Firewall is Turned-On on the database server, turn it off and then give it a try.
  2. Try connecting with "Add database Connection" option and check what happens.
  3. Are you able to create OLEDB connections?
MartinAmeskamp

Hi Asrujit, thanks for your suggestions:

• Firewall on the machine hosting SQL Express is completely off
  • OLE DB-connection works from ArcGIS 10.0 using and SQL Server Native Client 10.0, with both Windows and SQL Server authentication
  • Add Database Connection works from ArcGIS 10.2.1, again using both authentication modes.

Add database server still doesn't work (using doain name or IP-address). I've tried "server" and "server\sqlexpress" - same result in both cases. What sort of authentication is that connection trying to use?

Thanks, Martin

0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

"Add Database Server" uses Windows Authentication automatically.

Is it possible to work with ESRI Tech-Support on this? It seems that you have already covered the basic troubleshooting required, so maybe if they can take a look at your configuration, it may help.

0 Kudos