Create Enteprise GDB in Oracle 12c

09-12-2018 01:25 PM
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hello,

I am super new using Oracle and I am having some problems creating a database in oracle. I have installed Oracle (with no database created) I also set the path environment variable in windows server and I am able to access other Oracle DBs already created. 

I do not have an oracle database created in this new server Do I need to have one so I can use that name to access it? because I do not have any but I am using the IP:port/the name of the database I want to give to it, is this correct?

This tool is going to create the sys user automatically? 

I am getting this error

Is there something I need to do?

Thanks,

Diego Llamas

0 Kudos
17 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Yes, create the DB on the Oracle instance before you use that GP tool. You will need the SYS user PW for the EGDB creation.

Then you can use EZConnect for the connection string; i.e ServerName/SID      SID = Oracle DB name

Here are the options: Create a geodatabase in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hello, George Thompson's Blogt

I was able to create the database in Oracle C with the listener, database but when I run the create EGB tool, it gives me an error for user, so, my question is, do I need to create the SDE user also in Oracle, before running the tool?

Regards,

Diego Llamas

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Diego - You can create the SDE user in advance. Just follow the documentation above and look in the "The Oracle administrator configures the database; the geodatabase administrator creates the geodatab..." Section. It will give you the information to run the correct tools.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hello George Thompson's Blog After your help I was able to create the database and create roles and user gisadmin, giseditor and gisviewer, the users has their privileges set. So I started to copy paste data sets from an old database to the new one. In the middle of the process of migrating the data I remember that I did not configure the ST_Geometry type to the new database, so I copied the st_shapelib.dll from server to the database server, modify the extproc.ora file as shown in Configure the extproc to access ST_Geometry in Oracle—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  run this on the SQL Developer

SELECT file_spec FROM user_libraries WHERE library_name = 'ST_SHAPELIB';
CREATE OR REPLACE LIBRARY ST_SHAPELIB AS 'C:\Oracle_ST_GeometryLIB\st_shapelib.dll'; ALTER PACKAGE sde.st_geometry_shapelib_pkg COMPILE REUSE SETTINGS;

and run the create spatial type geoprocessing tool. 

After I did that, I tried to copy and paste the rest of the data sets and I got this erros

If I add the existed data from the database to arcmap I got this error.

Draw error

If I try to create a new feature class

Error copy paste data sets

If I try to delete something from the database, it erase but once refreshed it come again.

I run one procedure in one of your post and I got this

Any suggestion, What did I do wrong? 

Regards,

DLL

0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

I also checked George Thompson's Blog‌ the privileges for sde user and it has all of them suggested by esri.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

At the beginning you said that you ran the Create/Enable Enterprise Geodatabase tool, correct? If you did that then you do NOT need to run the Create Spatial type tool. That tool is if you want to enable the ST_Geometry objects on a non-geodatabase.

Since this is a Windows Oracle machine, do you have the latest Visual Studio VC++ 2017 installed?

You may need to re-update the library path (double check to make sure it is correct). Then you can recompile the SDE schema.

What did you update the EXTPROC.ora file to; "ANY" or the file path?

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hello,

Yes, I use Enable Enterprise geodatabase tool, so If I run the create spatial type tool it does not affect my database right, if we already had the ST because I used the create database, create spatial should not affect i assume. 

I installed VC_REDSTTx64 you mention. this was a new database, so I did not have any st_shapelib.dll from before, i copied the 10.6 server version file from the server machine to the db machine for the fist time, i did not have one before, so do i needed to use library?

I put the last part.

I will re run the SQL statement after I installed VC++

I do not think I did this FAQ: Can the execute privilege be removed from public on Oracle packages?  is this necessary

It this necessary? what user need to have those public packages?

REgards,

DLL

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

I will re run the SQL statement after I installed VC++

I do not think I did this FAQ: Can the execute privilege be removed from public on Oracle packages?  is this necessary

Nope not necessary.

For the EXTPROC try putting the library in the %ORACLE_HOME%\bin folder and update path?

I am not sure if running the create spatial type tool would cause any issues after the geodatabase is already created, it is possible.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor

Hello George,

I got an error in my database server when I run %ORACLE_HOME%\bin so I look for it and I put it here

Do you have the specific path where I need to copy the library.

Regards,

DLL

0 Kudos