Select to view content in your preferred language

Corrupted Geodatabase

yesterday
vijaybadugu
Occasional Contributor II

I have Question regarding corrupted geodatabase, We have recently upgraded ArcGIS Enterprise to 11.3 and geodatabase to latest version of it. 

I have been noticing some odd behavior of geodatabase like updating global ids with 0000-0000 in A tables and base tables. Unable to create an attribute rule on the geodatabase. with all these,  we confirmed that, The geodatabase had been corrupted. 

Now, we need to recover that geodatabase either creating new geodatabase and copy all  datasets to the new one and we can rename the database which will be some what relief. 

My question is during this process, does all versions will be retained with IDS with system tables?  do we need to do manually again? do I need to republish ArcGIS services   ? Do I need to create offline maps again ? I know, we can retain data back but what about all configurations related to system tables. 

Do we have any other alternatives without creating new geodatabase ? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@vijaybadugu - If you copy and paste the data from the old gdb to the new gdb then.

Question: Does all versions will be retained with IDS with system tables? 

[Marcelo]: no, version are not retained.

Question: Do we need to do manually again?

[Marcelo]: yes, you will need to create the versions again in the new geodatabase.

Question: Do I need to republish ArcGIS services?

[Marcelo]: if the new geodatabase is in the same database server, with the same connection information, e.g. port number, database name, server name, etc. and the new geodatabase has the same data, then the ArcGIS Server Services shall be able to connect to the new geodatabase and continue to work fine. In the other hand if the database name changed then you will need to republish the services.

Question: Do I need to create offline maps again ?

[Marcelo]: yes, you will need to reconfigure the data for offline editing and recreate the maps.

I know, we can retain data back but what about all configurations related to system tables. 

[Marcelo]: if you preserve a database backup before the upgrade, then you can use the database backup to restore the database, copy+paste the data to a file geodatabase for example is not the best efficient method to backup an enterprise geodatabase, use the rdbms database backup tools.

I hope this helps.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
vijaybadugu

To create an attribute rule, it looks for "WORKSPACE" in  PhysicalName attribute. Somehow, it is null in our database, due to that, it is failing . can I update it from back end ?  

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

can you share a screenshot to clarify?  "it looks for "WORKSPACE" in  PhysicalName attribute"
Create and manage attribute rules—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos
vijaybadugu

I sent you private message.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

I saw the screenshot, it's a query in SQL Server Management Studio of the ArcSDE Repository Table. If you edit any ArcSDE Repository tables directly then you risk corrupting the geodatabase. If you are having issues to setup the attributes rules in ArcGIS Pro, then open a ticket with esri support to investigate the issue further. Thanks.  : )

0 Kudos
ZeusThompson

@vijaybadugu   Could you please elaborate on exactly what ID are you talking about? Is it version_id; state_id or reg_id; or lineage_id etc?

0 Kudos