Select to view content in your preferred language

How to achieve performance isolation in Geodatabase

12 hours ago
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for advice on applying performance isolation mechanisms in SQL Server (this includes CPU, memory, and disk I/O isolation) when hosting a geodatabase. Specifically, how does a geodatabase leverage these features to ensure that the growth of one table does not negatively impact the performance of other tables?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@gisarchitect - SQL Server settings for cpu and memory are isolated by SQL Server Instance, if you have more than one instance running on the same host then you need to set the cpu and memory settings for each instance to make sure they do not consume all cpu/memory of the host, also you need to leave at least 16gb memory for the OS, in larger systems might need more, for disk i/o if the host has dedicated disks then you can move each SQL Server Instance databases datafiles to separate disks to improve disk i/o. For more best practices visity my community.esri.com blog page below and read the Production Mapping database guide books for SQL Server for more details.

Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Databases Best Practices (esri.com)

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos