Cannot register spatial view with geodatabase

Jump to solution
10-10-2018 06:02 AM
ae
by
Occasional Contributor II

I have created a spatial view in an sde-enabled database. The view works fine, but when I try to register the view with the geodatabase using ArcCatalogue I get the error: 

ERROR 001050

Either registered with geodatabase already or cannot open the dataset.

I have not registered the view before, and I do not understand why the "register with geodatabase" tool cannot open the dataset, if that is the problem. There is no more detailed information about the underlying cause of the issue. 

I'm using ArcCatalogue 10.5.1. Registering tables and featureclasses works fine. The issue is only seen when trying to register views with the geodatabase. 

Also, I don't know if this is related to the issue, but for some reason my view shows up with the type "SDE Feature Class" in ArcCatalogue, even though I haven't registered the view.

Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be here? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Have you reviewed the requirements of the tool: Register a table or view with the geodatabase—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop ?

Your table or view must meet the following criteria to register it with the geodatabase:

• The field data types used in the table or view you register with the geodatabase must map to ArcGIS data types. If they do not, registration will fail. See DBMS data types supported in ArcGIS for a list of data types you can use.
  • The table or view can contain only one spatial field.
  • If the table or view contains a spatial field, it can store only one geometry type (such as point, line, or polygon).
  • If the table or view contains a spatial field, all features must use the same coordinate system.
  • The table or view must contain a not null, unique, integer field to be used as an ObjectID field.

If you register a table, you can specify an existing field for the ObjectID. If you do not specify an existing field for the ObjectID when registering a table, ArcGIS will add an ObjectID field to the table.

As for the view looking like a feature class, this happens after the client (ArcCatalog, in your case) "reads" the view and knows what type of spatial data is present.

Geodatabase

--- George T.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
George_Thompson

Have you reviewed the requirements of the tool: Register a table or view with the geodatabase—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop ?

Your table or view must meet the following criteria to register it with the geodatabase:

• The field data types used in the table or view you register with the geodatabase must map to ArcGIS data types. If they do not, registration will fail. See DBMS data types supported in ArcGIS for a list of data types you can use.
  • The table or view can contain only one spatial field.
  • If the table or view contains a spatial field, it can store only one geometry type (such as point, line, or polygon).
  • If the table or view contains a spatial field, all features must use the same coordinate system.
  • The table or view must contain a not null, unique, integer field to be used as an ObjectID field.

If you register a table, you can specify an existing field for the ObjectID. If you do not specify an existing field for the ObjectID when registering a table, ArcGIS will add an ObjectID field to the table.

As for the view looking like a feature class, this happens after the client (ArcCatalog, in your case) "reads" the view and knows what type of spatial data is present.

Geodatabase

--- George T.
ae
by
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion! I reviewed all the criteria and found out that my database contained a few rows where the geometry column had an invalid value. I used the MakeValid method in SQL to fix these issues, and then I was able to register the geodatabase! Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

Is there a specific version at which it became possible to register views with a geodatabase?  We are on 10.4.1 and I am receiving 'ERROR 001399: Views are not supported' when I attempt to register a view with the database.  We are on SQL Server 2017.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Brian Cunningham‌ this became a GP tool at ArcMap 10.5 or newer - Register a table or view with the geodatabase—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I would also recommend updating the geodatabase to at least 10.5 also.

--- George T.
CraigSwadner
Occasional Contributor

I agree with George, if memory serves me correct (we have dozens of spatial views) 10.4 gave us issues also.

Craig Swadner (GIS Coordinator)

City of Cape Coral

1015 Cultural Park Blvd.

Cape Coral, Fl 33990

Did you know the best way to report issues to ITS is to use the Service Desk system? This will ensure someone in ITS gets your request and allows us to track the progress. Please enter all your issues and/or questions by clicking https://breeze.cape.capecoral.net

BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the info George Thompson and Craig Swadner

I was able to upgrade my geodatabase to version 10.5.1 and then perform the task as expected.

I did some research and found that I could use a 10.4.1 client with a 10.5.1 database.  I used a test machine with 10.5.1 installed; upgraded the database; ran the GP task to register the view; tested with my 10.4.1 client and all worked well.

Thankfully, this is a read-only database where we're building views for our users to consume, so we're not modifying our production database. 

Thanks for the tips gentleman.

0 Kudos
Arne_Gelfert
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks, Brian. Very helpful We should've discussed when you were still down the hall. haha.

0 Kudos