Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot delete FC in a Feature Dataset

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing an unusual issue with an Enterprise Geodatabase hosted on SQL Server. Specifically, I'm unable to delete a feature class within a dataset from ArcGIS Pro. When I attempt to delete the feature class, the process appears to complete successfully without any errors. However, after refreshing the feature dataset, the feature class still appears intact. Furthermore, I can add it back to the map without encountering any issues, and the data remains unaffected.

Some other information

• I noticed that this behavior only happen when the data owner is not dbo (ex: if the feature class is dataowner.building, then I cannot delete it). On the other hand I can delete a feature class in a feature dataset when it is owned by dbo (ex: if the feature class name is dbo.building, then I can delete it)
  • Regarding permissions, the schema owner (dataowner) has the permissions listed in the documentation.
  • I can reproduce the behavior in multiple geodatabases. Every new database I create has the same behavior.
  • I have tried creating a trace using SQL Server profiler and tried collecting different type of information with no luck. I used a standard trace template and a custom one. No errors have been detected.
  • I have tried also extended events and no errors also noticed.
  • I can delete the table (feature class) in SQL Server from SSMS but I know that this is a wrong action as the tables have another dependencies and the table still exist in the geodatabase. I have just mentioned this piece of information just to confirm that the case is not related to permissions.
  • I cannot delete the table from ArcGIS Pro with a sysadmin user.
  • I cannot delete the table from ArcGIS Pro as the schema owner even if I assigned the schema owner the sysadmin role

Environment information

• The geodatabase is in DBO owned schema
  • User data is in dataowner schema
  • SQL Server authentication is (Windows Authentication)
  • ArcGIS Pro Version is 3.1.3
  • SQL Server version is 15.0.4345.5
  • SQL Server Edition: Enterprise
  • Operating System: Windows Server 2022

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for the update on your testing. I am not aware of any specific permission required between SQL / Windows logins.

We usually do not recommend that Windows logins own data due to naming and when the person leaves. This is the first time I have come across this difference.

--- George T.
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

@George_Thompson

I've almost figured out what is happening with the issue. I created a new SQL user named 'gisadmin' and mapped it to the existing Windows login 'domain\gisadmin'. After doing this, I was able to successfully create and delete a feature class inside a feature dataset without any problems. It seems that the issue was related to the naming convention of the domain\username causing conflicts. This mapping resolved the problem.

Thank you for your assistance.

George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for that update. We usually want the username / login name to match exactly for best outcomes and less issues.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

@George_ThompsonIf you have a time and found that suitable for you could you try to reproduce the issue using a windows login that equal the sql user name? just to report this to Esri.

I do appreciate your help and time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

This is where I recommend working with technical support on this. They have the mechanism to reproduce the issue and the process for logging potential issues.

@MarlonAmaya any thoughts on getting this investigated?

--- George T.
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Thank you for your recommendation. Unfortunately, our client is currently out of the service contract, so we are unable to reach out to technical support.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Notable Contributor

Roger, I am not sure how to report an issue outside of support.

--- George T.
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @gisarchitect ,

What account is your data owner? Is this an OS user? 

Marlon

0 Kudos
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Yes,  the data owner account is OS (windows) user

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

I created a sample feature dataset that is owned by OS user , created FC, deleted FC - FC is deleted successfully. 

Test.jpg

Marlon

0 Kudos