Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot delete FC in a Feature Dataset

Jump to solution
3 weeks ago
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing an unusual issue with an Enterprise Geodatabase hosted on SQL Server. Specifically, I'm unable to delete a feature class within a dataset from ArcGIS Pro. When I attempt to delete the feature class, the process appears to complete successfully without any errors. However, after refreshing the feature dataset, the feature class still appears intact. Furthermore, I can add it back to the map without encountering any issues, and the data remains unaffected.

Some other information

• I noticed that this behavior only happen when the data owner is not dbo (ex: if the feature class is dataowner.building, then I cannot delete it). On the other hand I can delete a feature class in a feature dataset when it is owned by dbo (ex: if the feature class name is dbo.building, then I can delete it)
  • Regarding permissions, the schema owner (dataowner) has the permissions listed in the documentation.
  • I can reproduce the behavior in multiple geodatabases. Every new database I create has the same behavior.
  • I have tried creating a trace using SQL Server profiler and tried collecting different type of information with no luck. I used a standard trace template and a custom one. No errors have been detected.
  • I have tried also extended events and no errors also noticed.
  • I can delete the table (feature class) in SQL Server from SSMS but I know that this is a wrong action as the tables have another dependencies and the table still exist in the geodatabase. I have just mentioned this piece of information just to confirm that the case is not related to permissions.
  • I cannot delete the table from ArcGIS Pro with a sysadmin user.
  • I cannot delete the table from ArcGIS Pro as the schema owner even if I assigned the schema owner the sysadmin role

Environment information

• The geodatabase is in DBO owned schema
  • User data is in dataowner schema
  • SQL Server authentication is (Windows Authentication)
  • ArcGIS Pro Version is 3.1.3
  • SQL Server version is 15.0.4345.5
  • SQL Server Edition: Enterprise
  • Operating System: Windows Server 2022

Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any suggestions on how to resolve it?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Does the user you used follow this pattern "domain\username"?

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Yes it does.

Is the behavior reproduced with another OS account that can be tested by a colleague?

Is the .....\GISAdmin OS account an individual account for one user? Or does it act like a group?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geodatabases/manage-sql-server/add-users-sqlserve...

0 Kudos
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

Yes, the behavior can be reproduced with another OS account. I have tested another account of my colleague and the issue appeared again.

The GISAdmin is an individual account not a group. Also the account I have just tested is an individual account.

The scenario I follow is

1.Create OS login (search for login in active directory)

2.Map the login to a certain database

3. Create a schema with the same name the user that is created in the database after mapping.

4. Assign the schema to the user

5. Grant the permission from SQL Server (Table, view, procedure)

6.Connect from ArcGIS Pro and start creating data (Feature dataset, and feature class)

7. Try to delete a feature class

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

Hi @gisarchitect ,

Looking at the earlier post and recent one, are you assigning Create Function?

If we were to go and check the explicit permission on the user (Right Click DB --> properties --> select permissions page --> select user account)

My explicit permissions are the following:

• Connect 
  • Create Function
  • Create Procedure
  • Create Table
  • Create View
  • View Definition

Marlon

0 Kudos
gisarchitect
New Contributor III

I have checked my explicit permissions and they were as the documentation as follows

• Connect
  • Create Procedure
  • Create Table
  • Create View

However, I have added the remaining as you described above which are (View Definition, Create Function) and there is no effect after I added them.

0 Kudos