ArcMap 10.3.1 and MS Access 2013

06-20-2016 10:10 AM
ChuckWerstak1
New Contributor II

Greetings, I am trying to identify a more efficient way to work with MS Access 2013 and ArcMap 10.3.1. I am able to successfully connect to a MS Access database using Microsoft Office 10.0 Access Database Engine OLE DB Provider and use the tables in my analysis however; I cannot export the feature class tables from ArcMap directly back into the MS Access database (.accdb). The only workflow I have found that works is to export the output feature class tables as a .txt or as a MS Excel worksheet (older .xls version) then, load them into MS Access which essentially, defeats the "efficiency" part of the process. I am look to to either 1) export the output feature class tables directly back into MS Access or, 2) export the table to the 2007 MS Excel format (.xlsx). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chuck Werstak

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

tagging Managing Data

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

They are thin on the form but you didn't indicate what you had looked at

Understanding how to use Microsoft Access files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos
ChuckWerstak1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

I'm not quite sure what you mean based on your response, could you please clarify? I originally posted this to Technical Support then, re-posted it to Geodatabase. Rebecca tagged it to Managing Data which seemed to bring more views (thanks Rebecca!).

Thanks,

Chuck

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

... thin ...

It was that link and its sublinks, which I wasn't sure you had ruled out Connecting to a 2007 Microsoft Access database (.accdb) in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop for instance

or how to work with xlsx

Understanding how to use Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

perhaps if you can get the driver, then there may be a workaround

If you have an .xlsx file you want to use in ArcGIS but do not have Excel 2007 installed, you will need to install the 2007 Office System Driver. It can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. If you have Microsoft Excel 2010 or no version of Microsoft Excel installed, you must install the 2007 driver before you can use either .xls or .xlsx files.

0 Kudos
ChuckWerstak1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I had previously look at those two particular links while searching for possible resolutions to the issues I'm experiencing. The two links do mention the ability to read from MS Access and Excel however; there is no mention of write so perhaps it's implied. Hopefully someone out there has figured this out and replies.

Thanks again,

Chuck

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry Chuck, short of the help topics and the knowledge base article and bunch or old posts there isn't much out ther

How To: Connect to Microsoft Access 2007 / 2010 (ACCDB) files in ArcGIS (from the knowledge base, incase something twigs with your situation, alternately the xlsx option is still an option)

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe the answer you seek, which isn't the answer you want, is in the Adding OLE DB connections to databases documentation:

OLE DB connections in ArcGIS are used to make read-only connections to tabular data sources.
0 Kudos
ChuckWerstak1
New Contributor II

Hi Josh,

Thanks for reaffirming my suspicions .

Cheers,

Chuck

0 Kudos