ArcGIS Data Store and RDBMS?

Jump to solution
03-13-2017 05:28 AM
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I'm getting a bit lost in the new ArcGIS Enterprise terminology - can someone point me to some document that explains what the ArcGIS Data Store and specifically the relational data store have to do with the good old Enterprise Geodatabase based on RDBMS products such as Oracle, MS SQL Serverv or Postgres? Is this just a new name for the same thing, or is a relational data store truly a new relational database implementation?

From the current documentation I get the rough idea the a "managed database" is the old (ArcSDE) Enterprise Geodatabase, so this would indeed indicate that the relational data store is something new. If so, what?

Thanks, Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Martin,

> what the ArcGIS Data Store and specifically the relational data store have to do with the good old Enterprise Geodatabase based on RDBMS products such as Oracle, MS SQL Serverv or Postgres? Is this just a new name for the same thing, or is a relational data store truly a new relational database implementation?

Enterprise geodatabases (aka. previously known as ArcSDE geodatabases) are still relevant and part of the ArcGIS stack. They are the premier data structure to store and manage your GIS data based on a DBMS platform. With respect to ArcGIS Server, they are used as the "source" for data that powers web services - so they have been called "data stores" for ArcGIS Server. In this case, the term "data store" is a concept, which refers to registering your data source with ArcGIS Server.

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

The ArcGIS Data Store was introduced in the 10.3 release and is a stand alone installation component of ArcGIS Enterprise. It is based on PostgreSQL, managed internally by the software, and is meant to be used as part of a "hosting server" deployment with Portal for ArcGIS. In a hosting server deployment, you would install: Portal for ArcGIS + a federated Server site + the ArcGIS Data Store, this enables you to have a Web GIS deployment in your own infrastructure. At 10.5, this is now referred to as a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, which enables you to leverage all the capabilities that a Web GIS offers.

Base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I've also attached some ppt slides from my Advanced ArcGIS Server UC tech session that discusses these concepts.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

19 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hello Martin,

ArcGIS Data Store = Anything new and amazing you want to do in ArcGIS 10.5

I believe it's the (Required ESRI implementation of PostgreSQL) as the required replacement to the traditional ArcGIS geodatabase in SQL or Oracle.

I think it is still being tweaked a bit to iron out if all three types of data stores (Relational, Tile Cache and Spatio-temporal Big) are going to use UNC file locations or inside a PostgreSQL "geodatabase".

Reference:

What is ArcGIS Data Store?—Installation Guides | ArcGIS Enterprise 

-Bill

DerekLaw

Hi Martin,

> what the ArcGIS Data Store and specifically the relational data store have to do with the good old Enterprise Geodatabase based on RDBMS products such as Oracle, MS SQL Serverv or Postgres? Is this just a new name for the same thing, or is a relational data store truly a new relational database implementation?

Enterprise geodatabases (aka. previously known as ArcSDE geodatabases) are still relevant and part of the ArcGIS stack. They are the premier data structure to store and manage your GIS data based on a DBMS platform. With respect to ArcGIS Server, they are used as the "source" for data that powers web services - so they have been called "data stores" for ArcGIS Server. In this case, the term "data store" is a concept, which refers to registering your data source with ArcGIS Server.

Register your data with ArcGIS Server using Manager—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise 

The ArcGIS Data Store was introduced in the 10.3 release and is a stand alone installation component of ArcGIS Enterprise. It is based on PostgreSQL, managed internally by the software, and is meant to be used as part of a "hosting server" deployment with Portal for ArcGIS. In a hosting server deployment, you would install: Portal for ArcGIS + a federated Server site + the ArcGIS Data Store, this enables you to have a Web GIS deployment in your own infrastructure. At 10.5, this is now referred to as a base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment, which enables you to leverage all the capabilities that a Web GIS offers.

Base ArcGIS Enterprise deployment—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5) | ArcGIS Enterprise 

I've also attached some ppt slides from my Advanced ArcGIS Server UC tech session that discusses these concepts.

Hope this helps,

MartinAmeskamp

Hi Derek, thanks for your reply - that clears things up a bit, if not completely. I have read the documentation and I appreciate the need for abstraction at this level. However, as someone who spends a lot of time troubleshooting performance issues, tuning databases, networks, disk access etc., I find that this abstraction is not enough to understand what to do if there are problems.

So from your answer I understand that the "ArcGIS Data Store" is basically a Postgres relational database that runs "under the hood" of ArcGIS Server and is completely managed by the software, i.e. there is no interface for an administrator of troubleshooter to look into if there are problems - correct?

Thanks again, Martin

DerekLaw

Hi Martin,

Yes, your statement is correct. And I agree that sometimes there is a need for some management tools for the ArcGIS Data Store. I suggest you add an enhancement request on the ideas forum, ArcGIS Ideas.

You're also welcome to email me your requirements directly: dlaw@esri.com.

Hope this helps,

MartinAmeskamp

Hi Derek,

thanks again - seeing a bit clearer now. I will do some experiments now, and if there are any more questions, I'll let you know.

Martin

0 Kudos
Natalie_Runyan
New Contributor III

I heard from a tech support analyst recently that I should consider integrating ArcGIS DataStore more completely because the future holds that Esri will only support services that are hosted in the ArcGIS Datastore. I can't believe that, given that we have infrastructure (DBA's, disaster recovery, servers) all built around protecting our data.  How would they convince anyone to hide it in a locked postgres box?

DerekLaw

Hi Natalie,

> ... because the future holds that Esri will only support services that are hosted in the ArcGIS Datastore.

This statement is incorrect. Esri will continue to support feature services based on both enterprise geodatabase and ArcGIS Data Store sources.

Hope this helps,

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Derek,

I found Greg Lehner's Blog Post: June 27, 2017 that helped too.

Do you know of a slide or two diagramming typical publishing workflows that can highlight this point of clarity?

GLehner-esristaff

Release of the Deprecated Features Plan for ArcGIS 10.5.1 | Support Services Blog 

• ArcGIS 10.5.1 is the last release to support anything other than the Data Store product as a data store for a Hosting Server.

Deprecated Features for ArcGIS 10.5.1 

-Bill

DerekLaw

Hi Bill,

The note you referenced states that enterprise geodatabases will no longer be supported as part of a hosting server deployment, but this is SEPARATE and DIFFERENT from the concept that enterprise geodatabases can still be used as a valid data source to power web services.

FYI, please download the PDF from this blog post, https://community.esri.com/community/gis/enterprise-gis/arcgis-for-server/blog/2017/08/22/arcgis-ent... 

In the PDF file, slides 25, 29, 35, and 36 should help explain the difference.

Hope this helps,