AppendRoutes Tool failing, documentation is confusing

08-07-2021 10:32 AM
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to add data to a brand new FileGDB with UPDM 2020.

I thought that using the AppendRoutes Tool would help me to....you know...append routes. I went in the following process:

1. Create a UPDM 2020 using  "Gas and Pipeline Data Management for ArcGIS Enterprise", I made the deployment of the version 1.2 (it includes a UPDM deployment solution for the version 2020).

2. I create in other FGDB a feature Class to hold my initial routes: I define the fields required (According to the documentation of the tool AppendRoutes😞 Route Name and RouteId

3. Then the tool start complaining because it does not has the other fields.

4. Create and fill the additional Fields 

I keep receiving information like this:

Cristian_AndresGalindo_Londoo_0-1628356230682.png

5. Create Line related fields in the source FC, and now I receive this:

Cristian_AndresGalindo_Londoo_1-1628356610146.png

I wonder what I am missing.

Why the documentation says that those fields are optional, but they aren't?

How add routes to a UPDM 2020 FGDB?

I just found this post:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pipeline-referencing-questions/append-routes-geoprocessing-tool...

thanks to @AyanPalit and an old colleague @JelmerAkkerman for their discussion, I think that they described the workaround.

But as soon as I start implemented the workaround , one of my fears became reality:

In the latest version of ArcGIS Pro APR tables cannot be modified so easily, First using the Append Tool i was able to add a Feature class to the EngineeringNetwork, then I made the same to create a centerline (Weird, isn't it?, I should gone first for the centerline, but anyway, I am in Everything can be done mode), but when I try to modify the CenterlineSequence Table....Booom:

Cristian_AndresGalindo_Londoo_0-1628357990251.png

Here I am again......How to fill those FC?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@Cristian_Galindo A good place to start is the LRS Network definition and requirements. The  Gas and Pipeline Data Management for ArcGIS Enterprise includes two LRS networks:

1. Engineering Station Network
  2. Continuous Station Network

The implementation patterns may be:

1. Use only the Continuous Station Network for simple linear referencing use case where there is no break in measures. In this case, the LineID, LineName and LineOrder fields are not needed.
  2. Use Engineering Station Network as the primary line network and Continuous Station Network as its derived counterpart. Engineering stationing may have a gap in measure at the junction of two routes that are part of the came line. This point is often referred as Station Equation. In this pattern,  the fields of LineID, LineName and LineOrder are required and are used to generate/ derive the roll-up of routes to lines. 

Another major consideration is, whether you are configuring APR only or APR with a Utility Network. The referenced post and workaround only applies to the APR with Utility Network. For APR only implementation, the Centerline layer in the data model should be used for LRS configuration. The Pipeline Line, Device and Junctions may be configured as LRS events and managed as such. 

The implementation pattern of  managing Pipeline Referencing and a Utility Network together has different data requirements and configuration process as in the reference link.  

#ArcGIS Pipeline Referencing #electric and gas utilities‌ #gas and pipeline enterprise data management‌ #oil and gas

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos
Cristian_Galindo
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @AyanPalit , thanks for your answer.

I had already stumble with the information that you are providing me. But maybe, you can helpe me to understand the issue here:

I followed the tasks in the Gas and Pipeline Datamanagement v1.2 to create a File Geodatabase with Schema . Is that File Geodatabase one with APR only or APR with Utility Network?

If I have the File Geodatabase, How should I start populating the data for the creation of centerlines and routes having into account the procedure that I describe above or in my other post?

0 Kudos