Select to view content in your preferred language

First Time Attending Esri User Conference as a Student Assistant!

05-28-2024 07:37 PM
Jocelyn_Torres
New Contributor III

Hello to all, my name is Jocelyn Torres, and I am a current student at the University of Redlands. I first got involved with Esri at the YPN Redlands Regional Chapter. This is where I was introduced to Esri as a whole and their Young Professional Network outreach. Since then, I was asked to write a blog about my own experience through mentorship! Here is my blog if you guys would love to check it out!

https://community.esri.com/t5/esri-ypn-mentorship/from-mentee-to-mentor-a-dual-perspective-as-a/ba-p...  .

I have continued to develop and strengthen my relationship with Esri, and I am excited to attend the 2024 User Conference as a student assistant. I look forward to meeting and connecting with many more individuals involved with Esri. If anyone has attended before, I would love some tips or advice on what to expect and how I can better prepare!

Tags (1)
12 Replies
HGuzman
New Contributor II

Hi Jocelyn! My name is Hailee, and I am a recent graduate, it is also my first time attending the ESRI conference. I am excited to see the replies to this thread because I am also curious as to what to expect. I am positive it will be as great as they say it is! Thanks,

Jocelyn_Torres
New Contributor III

Hi Hailee it is nice to meet you! Yes, I agree I'm very excited and I'm excited to officially meet you there!

0 Kudos
RosemaryBoone
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jocelyn! Thanks for your wonderful introduction and I am so excited to see you're going to be attending Esri User Conference as a Student Assistant - Congratulations! 

I'm tagging previous Student Assistants so they can chime in to give you some pointers and advice as to what to expect 👉 @SamuelAkinnusi @JingHu @MingxinLiu @ChimaOkoli 

Including @Joe-Galarza into this thread as he will be helping to manage the Student Assistants during Esri User Conference!

ChimaO
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

Hi Rosemary! Thank you very much for the mention. Nice to meet you, Jocelyn, @Jocelyn_Torres.

I am planning to be at the UC this year though I haven't finalized on the day yet. I am currently with Esri as an intern at the Redlands office so you can always reach out to me for any information.

The UC is the biggest the GIS conference in the world and if this will be your first time, then, believe me, it will be worth the experience. If you hope to build a career around GIS and tech, this is also a big opportunity to connect with Esri and other industry leaders.

I look forward to meeting you at the UC.

Jocelyn_Torres
New Contributor III

Thank you so much Rosemary for the awesome connections, I really appreciate it and I look forward to hearing from them as I reach out!

KalyaniMallepally
New Contributor II

Hello !! This is Kalyani , I have attended the Esri Energy Resources GIS Conference 2024 held at Houston , Tx for 3 days . I can say that it was simple a wow experience and the esri team were so supportive . In this conference days I had also chance of setting up a resume review with Joe which is really helpful. He is a man with more patience and always helping hand . Overall guys you got a great opportunity to meet GIS professionals all over the world , I can suggest you to make more value connections and enjoy the event . All the best wishes !!

Jocelyn_Torres
New Contributor III

Hi Kalyani! Thank you so much for your insight, this really does help me out !

BR2
by
New Contributor II

Hello @Jocelyn_Torres,

Congrats on being selected as student assistant for UC 2024. I was an SA at UC 2023, it is a wonderful experience, try to make use of your free time connecting with GIS experts. The best part of your time as an SA is Esri leadership will help you throughout to facilitate your goals, all the while assisting and enjoying THE BEST GIS CONFERENCE ever!!!

Here is my story map that I made last year: 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/d3549f290ae045c2a55913f5b63f30e4

Feel free to reach out!

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Oh 'tis a true honor to be included in your story map!  I salute you and wish you all the best in your continuing journey!   I know you will continue to be successful and thriving.  Keep in touch. 

--Joseph Kerski