ArcGIS Assistant Beta (tool for managing content and users)

05-20-2021 09:55 AM
GeriMiller
Esri Regular Contributor
14 20 13.3K

We have seen many questions from the Education community surrounding transferring of content between users and organizations, copying items, managing multiple accounts, and other similar workflows.

In effort to support such functions, the ArcGIS Assistant Beta was released.

https://assistant.esri-ps.com/

This is the next-gen version of the classic AGO Assistant tool beloved by many ArcGIS users. It's been rebuilt from scratch by a team from Esri Professional Services. The beta includes the ability to:

• Copy items (+resources) across accounts and organizations  
  • Add and manage multiple ArcGIS accounts
  • List, view, download, replace, and upload item resources
  • View and edit item info and item data JSON

A little history: Getting Started | ArcGIS Assistant User Guide (esri-ps.com)

Note this is not a "deep copy" of apps or web page item types (like Story Maps, Dashboards, Insights pages, Hub pages, app templates, etc.) However, it does include all the file resources, which the AGO Assistant didn’t do.

Many Education users are interested in working with and copying Story Maps - please take a look at the Common Workflows section, which addresses typical questions about using the ArcGIS Assistant with Story Maps.   

ArcGIS Assistant is a community driven project and not an officially supported by Esri Technical Support. Check out the FAQ and the Discussion Forum on GitHub.

While this is not the ultimate solution for managing content and users in Education, it’s an exciting step!

20 Comments
LukeSavage
Occasional Contributor II

Great concept and like the new UI.  Much more intuitive. Haven't been able to copy items:  ArcGIS Indoors Configuration, MMPKs, scene layers from 10.8.1 to 10.9 environments.  Actually, all of the items are giving an error CONT_0001: item does not exist or is inaccessible.  Logging in as Admin on both environments.  Any help on what items are currently supported.

RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

I hope one day ArcGIS Assistant will be fully supported by Esri.  Would be great to have the link from AGO to Portal as easy to use as ArcPro to AGO/Portal

RichardTsung
New Contributor

The new version of ArcGIS Assistant just resolved the problem I had transferring map package, service definition, and City Engine Web Scene using Python script, thank you so much!

Will this version become the official version in the near future?

LynnBerni

I don't see how to "update the services of URLs in a web map" in this new version of Assistant. Will this (incredibly helpful) feature be included at some point?  I would continue using the the classic AGO Assistant for this task, but it's not working.  AGO does allow me to update the URLs, but the change is not getting pushed out to the web map itself! 

BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

@LynnBerni - The one workaround that you can use with the new tool, is by going directly into the web map JSON and editing that (I would recommend making a copy of the web map first to test with, or just copying all of the JSON and saving it locally). 

1) Click on the brackets to edit the JSON for the web map.

edit json.png

2) Then go to the Data tab - you can now edit the URL's of every service, modify the pop-ups, etc.data tab.png

GiaNguyen2
New Contributor

i am not able to log into the new site, it's coming up blank when trying to log into our portal. App ID is setup correctly within our portal. I am getting the 401 error. Any suggestions?

GiaNguyen2_0-1665421230572.png

Leo_Liu_WA
New Contributor II

@GiaNguyen2 , wonder did you set up the re-direct URL in your app?

jzcgis
by
New Contributor III

Hi, wish ESRI would support this better....I have been getting this annoying error that prompts for a sign in after transferring items. I am an admin in the agol that its being moved from to the enterprise portal destination.  signerror.PNG thank you

AdminAccount2

I get the blank screen too when trying to login (from Portal), and yes the Registered App is setup and the Re-direct URI added. That's not the problem. It's trying to load a localized language file that doesn't exist. in this line of code:

https://assistant.esri-ps.com/locales/en-US/strings.json

Capture.png

LukeSavage

Last update in November 2021, what's happening with this tool?  Still no cloning or copying feature hosted feature service to a from portals.  Granted, collaboration can be accomplished but not necessarily a great way to manage given the limitations with collaborations.

jzcgis
by
New Contributor III

@GeriMillerAnything on this? I am also trying to move survey123 items and it moves it but then doesn't allow me to access it due to permissions. Is this tool dead or is there something else coming?

BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

@jzcgis , @LukeSavage , @AdminAccount2 - I just let one of the lead devs on the project know and he fixed the error/issue that you referenced in this post.

He also let me know that if you use the 'submit an issue' form - they will get routed directly to him/the team.

You can use their GitHub repo or the 'submit feedback' form on the app itself.

https://github.com/EsriPS/arcgis-assistant-feedback

jzcgis
by
New Contributor III

@BrianBaldwinThank you!!!!

wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Just came across this new assistant on accident - I appreciate that Ctrl+F in JSON actually works! Not sure if that's going to be fixed in the old one but it drove me crazy - you can only use the browser Ctrl+F if you want the page to actually scroll to your query.

FairfieldMapGuy
New Contributor

I am attempting to edit feature services using the JSON editor and none of my edits will save.  They seem to save but if you refresh the page and go back into the JSON no edits were saved.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

BrianBaldwin
Esri Regular Contributor

@FairfieldMapGuy - What type of item were you trying to edit? 

I just ran a quick test (with a Feature Layer). I ensured that I checked the 'edit JSON' button - edited a couple things, hit save, returned to my item description, and then edits were visible/preserved.

Check the doc of the tool as well - it does mention some attributes that are not directly editable: https://guide.assistant.esri-ps.com/docs/warnings

iprameshwari
New Contributor

I bump into same problem as @GiaNguyen2 where the new ago assistant went blank after sign in into enterprise (v 11.0). It turns out there is a cross origin block therefore i add the URL into allow domain in Enterprise security settings.

StuartMoore
Occasional Contributor III

is there any way to delete an object that's coming up as this when you view the JSON

{
    "error": {
        "code": 400,
        "messageCode": "CONT_0001",
        "message": "Item does not exist or is inaccessible.",
        "details": []
    }
}
Pei-SanTsai
New Contributor III

@iprameshwari, I have the same issue and would like to know if you get your issue resolved after added the URL into allow domain in Enterprise security setting?  I'm using 10.9.1, I added the URL but still didn't work for me.

JohnSteed1
New Contributor III

I love the new UI.
I am trying to copy content from a Production Enterprise environment to a Factory one.  Both are on 10.9.1 Linux.
I can add both Enterprise accounts and see their data.  But when I try to "copy" content, it appears that it is trying to copy content from the same enterprise account into itself.  I can't seem to get the folders to show up for the other account when I get to that screen.
Is this something that anyone else has experienced?