Select to view content in your preferred language

REST based locator/geocoding

11-29-2016 08:18 AM
JK6
by
New Contributor

Hello,

I have a REST geocoding web service accepting single field as a query string, and I would like it to be available in ArcMap for "geocoding addresses". What do I need to do to get it there?

I was looking around for documentation but I haven't found any that would implement and/or publish a geocoding service.

I have found the http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/guide-books/geocoding/setting-default-locators-in-arcmap.ht... guide but if I am not mistaken, there is no factory that would allow to use REST services. I haven't found and documentation on how to create my own factory either - any hints welcome.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

JK:

The information in the help topic you found does contain the information that you need to include your geocode service as a default locator in ArcMap. The example just above "Editing system default locators" in the Setting default locators in ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS Desktop help topic is the format you need to use and there is no need to create a new workspace factory. Also, within the DefaultLocators.xml file there is an example for ArcGIS Server locator that you can use to setup a REST geocode service in ArcMap. Below is the example from the DefaultLocators.xml.

<!-- ArcGIS Server locator-->
<!--
<locator_ref>
<name>MyArcGISServer</name>
<display_name>My ArcGIS Server</display_name>
<workspace_properties>
<factory_progid>esriGISClient.AGSServerConnectionFactory</factory_progid>
<ags_connection_properties>
<machine>ServerMachine</machine>
<user>ServerUser</user>
<encrypted_password>EncryptedPassword</encrypted_password>
</ags_connection_properties>
</workspace_properties>
</locator_ref>
-->

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

In ArcMap you should be able to use this geocode service with the Find Tool on the Tools toolbar.  Click on the Locations tab and click on the folder next to Choose a locator and then navigate to a GIS Server connection that contains your geocode service.  You should then just need to enter your address parameters and hit Find to execute the search.

0 Kudos