Select to view content in your preferred language

Please restore ArcScripts

08-28-2016 11:43 PM
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Anyone trying to visit http://arcscripts.esri.com is redirected to ArcGIS Code Sharing - but the old content from ArcScripts has not been ported across.

I get that ArcScripts is no longer active, but this does not mean that all of the content on ArcScripts is useless. There is many YEARS' worth of user contributions on ArcScripts, which will be lost if this resource is removed.

Esri - can you please remove the redirect on http://arcscripts.esri.com and just include a note telling people to check ArcGIS Code Sharing for up-to-date code? 

thanks,

Steve

ping Jim Barry

Tags (1)
58 Replies
TedKowal
Regular Contributor II

Unfortunately, I was born before the digital age..... I have a big library of code print-outs!

0 Kudos
GEORGECHALARIS
New Contributor

As an old user (since 1982 are info version 2.0, yes there was no version 1.0 ...) my feeling is that the decision to remove this precious code segments from Amos and avenues scripts that after some effort reveal WORKFLOWS AND ALGORITHMS that can be used in another language environment like Python , is "offensive" to the hundreds of people creating these excellent pieces of work, the thousands scripts that show not only history but also cleverness and sophisticated solutions that can be applied again today just coding in another programming language.

Of course  it's not a matter of storage and you should revise your decision. After all keeping history is the perfect means not to make the same mistakes again. 

Thank you for considering my opinion

George , Athens Greece 

DanaDiotte2
New Contributor

I agree. Although all code should be moved over to GitHub similar to how Google moved much it's code content to GitHub but still left an archive on their servers for the less popular code. I'm not sure why ESRI is trying to re-invent the wheel. The code sharing site ESRI created is a great idea but does no allow contribution from everyone, updates, bug fixes, etc. Google created a an exporter tool to move code to GitHub. I am sure ESRI could do the same. Why put the responsibility of maintaining the code on one person when other can contribute and improve code?

Our organization is moving GIS scripts and toolboxes to GitHub now that we have an organizational account to share code with everyone within our organization and outside our organization.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

welcome to GeoNet... it is quite fortuitous that you found this thread on your first day and could contribute your comments.  Is there anything that you would like to see specifically recovered?  timothy_hales-esristaff‌ can assist if you can provide a link as text or a general description of the name or functionality of the script etc.

0 Kudos
JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor

It's clear we didn't do a good enough job explaining what we did and why. I'm overdue for jumping in here.

Despite the fact that the older "esri.com" ArcScripts was frozen to new submissions in 2010, it had been our intention to leave that site up and running as long as folks were using it, linking to it. We also agree that just because some code is 6-19 years old, doesn't make it useless. We did push a large campaign back in 2010 to ask those who own ArcScripts items to consider moving them to ArcGIS Online (thru ArcGIS.com) and due to the new terms of service, this was something that had to be actively agreed to by each items' owner. And because the user accounts between Esri Global and ArcGIS.com might be different, we had no practical way to reconcile the two to move them even if we wanted to. Some users have multiple accounts; which one do they want it moved to? In the end, we asked item owners to control their own items rather than has us muck it up against their wishes.

In the end, in reality, most of those items did not move. Perhaps the owner felt the item was no longer relevant, perhaps the owner was simply gone and didn't care anymore, perhaps a lot of things, but in the end, we kept the site up for 6 years and intended to simply leave it up.

Now while I cannot get into the details why, there was a significant event that occurred a few months back that caused us to summarily and immediately react to pull the site off-line. It is still fully available within Esri, and Tech Support analysts and any other Esri staff can still get to it, if someone contacts us needing something that was one day suddenly not there. One interesting positive by-product of pulling the site offline is that it made external search engines like Google cease crawling it, and thus stop returning decade or so old results on top of new ones. (This was a complaint we've been hearing about for years. That is, someone goes to Google looking for ArcGIS samples, and the returned results point them to stuff that's 5, 10, sometimes 15 years old and obsolete.)

The old site was invented and built in-house using really old technology. To restore the old ArcScripts site would take a significant design and development project, and we didn't have solid means to measure the cost-benefit of doing so, while at the same time pulling developers off other projects that wouldn't get done. Bringing the old ArcScripts back can be done if there is enough demand for it that helps justify making it a priority.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Jim... would it be possible to set up a "looking for..." link or place where requests could be directed?  If people have a description or can provide a text copy of a link, there might be some pattern as to the time period and/or they types of scripts etc that may be useful to pull.

At least people would have a location to place their requests, which could be monitored rather than the higgly-piggly approach they are using now.  You could also see whether there is a ground swell of need or just an intermittent 'need it now' type request.  

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

It is still fully available within Esri, and Tech Support analysts and any other Esri staff can still get to it, if someone contacts us needing something that was one day suddenly not there.

Jim, is there anyway that you can create a list of the titles, short description, poster/authors, and programming language of all the old scripts? (Minus those that you "know" have been moved, and maybe a hyperlink to those)

Maybe just put this in a blog or discussion.  Those authors that have posted under a different title and so inclined could message you with updated info, or if so inclined, create a new entry on the new site.

that way, for those of us that remember "there was a script....Aaahhh,....what was it called again?"  Have something to look, and then if found on the list, can request it.  Otherwise it can be like searching for a needle in a haystack of needles.....so many to choose from, but no idea which on you need.

that wouldn't be a perfect world, but at least it could be a tool we could use.  I totally agree that some of those old scripts are still very valuable for the thought process, workflows and algorithms within....even if they need to be directed and translated into Python, Javascript, .net and adapted for newer software.  I hate to see the hard work that went into these just "sit on the shelf" Becuase users don't even know they exist.  

My two.bits.

edit:  ha...Dan_Patterson‌ hit reply faster  than I did...same concept.

StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for the detailed reply. That does make sense.

My preference would be to restore the site if possible, but I understand that it's not a high priority. It would make an interesting project for an intern or junior developer to figure out a way to integrate the historical with the modern. Or you could open-source the problem to us?

Thanks again,

Steve

JimBarry
Esri Regular Contributor

We found a way to do it, which can at least be temporary, if not permanent, and will at the same time prevent search engine crawlers from having this database interfere with newer content. I'll provide an update asap.

JaeJeong
New Contributor

Hi JimBarry

I am looking for old arcscripts for 'Projection Distortion Analaysis'.
That scripts calculate areal distortion and angular distortion of all projection provided in ArcGIS.

Author was Michael Braymen.

And old URL was

http://resources.esri.com/geoprocessing/index.cfm?fa=codeGalleryDetails&scriptID=16595

Can you tell me access address or send me that scripts.
In codeshraing  ( 
http://codesharing.arcgis.com/), I cannot find any projection distortion analysis tool.

Yours Sincerely

0 Kudos